Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Yacht delivery, how much $$

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Sep 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hello all.
    It's been a long time since I've done paid deliveries but I was just wondering what is the going rate for a Capt. & mate to run a trawler roughly 140 miles. It would be a 16 hr run & the owner will have a car for us to drive home. I'm used to a 28-30kt cruise on my Hatteras so this will be a long-slow ride. Sounds.......relaxing!
    Thanks for the help, I have to call him back asap.

I hope everyone had a great summer!!

David
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

For a long one day run $450 to $500 plus travel... plus $150 if a mate is needed. I charge more if the owner comes along (just kidding). For a shorter 50 to 60 mile one day trip $350 to $400 and I usually do those alone.

This may be below what some others get but I typically have another aspect involved like bringing the boat in to list for sale or delivering a boat that I sold to it's new home port.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Would this delivery be done over two days or one day? I think of it as a two day run and for captain plus mate then something in the $900-1100 range plus all expenses. If I were to agree to do it then in one day, I'd work down from my two day rate. So, if a normal one day was $500 including mate, I'd be in the $700-800 range total for the 16 hour trip.

Knowing the condition of the boat first hand would be important too. When it's an unknown boat, it will take some time just to do a pre-delivery check. Simple things like it needing fuel add time. I see 16 hours easily becoming 18 if it's not a boat that I'm regularly captaining and familiar with.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

This is a two day trip especially with pre flight and then cleaning at the end.

Even if you do it in one day, say leaving at 7 or 8 and arriving at midnight you still would have to be there the afternoon before and probably won't be back till the following day...
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

Multi day trips $350 to $400 per day plus all expenses plus whatever the additional crew costs. And yes if there's a day of get ready at the start and/or a day of shutting the boat down at the end those days are added. And travel days ...flying to or from that's a paid day too.

Usually if you're flying in or out you can combine that within the same day as the get ready or the shut down. You can arrange to have a service clean the boat.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Thanks guys.
    Yes, I'm thinking I could do it in a day but I definitely need several hours to go over everything & get familiar with the systems.
    It's an easy 1/2 to 3/4 day trip on my boat but at 8 kts, I'd have to be underway at dawn. The owner will be driving down to meet the boat with his wife & I'll drive his car back home so there isn't much in travel logistics. I remember the days of planes, trains and automobiles (plus a few busses) but this is plenty easy
    Thanks again!
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Well it looks like you will burn two days. One for travel and another between get ready and get home time so I would charge two days for that trip.
  8. olderboater

I agree, unless he already knows that boat very well and very recently.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have to determine what a day is. We charge $350 per 8 to 10 hour day PLUS $150 for a mate, PLUS expenses.
    For our existing customers with boats we know. I'm already on their insurance policy and pre approved to move the boat.

A new customer and boat, I'm spending some time with the owner, boat and insurance company before a line goes slack. Sometimes a half day of effort.
    New customers I may up to $400/200.

Since I can make more money swinging a hammer & wrench on the docks, It's usually better for both owner and crew (Cpt & Mate) to run thru the night. But that is now 16 to 20 hours, TWO (2) days charge.
    The owner gets a faster delivery and no dock charges. Then still travel time and expenses.
    We can get back to Jax and keep working with minimal interruptions.

Yes, some folk do not hire us. When we don't want to be hired, those numbers go way high.
    One time that backfired. Another thread, but all worked out real fine.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's 2 days charge to the owner all day long. Figure get to the boat, get everything ready, might as well do an overnighter if safe to do so (ocean) get in the next morning (I'd charge 2 days for this), drive home.....16 hours even if you left at day break and you're still doing some travel in the dark..... if you can, just plan on doing it in 2 reasonable days, rather than 1 16 hour day or overnighter.

$350-400 a day (normal day 10 hrs) Capt. $175-200 Mate.......
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

yep
  12. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I explained that even though it's a short distance, it's still two days no matter how you slice it. He was perfectly accepting to the price quote & couldn't have been more understanding.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I just felt I needed reassurance as it seemed like a lot of money and I didn't want to rip off a very nice senior.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's good to ensure your not over charging anybody, just make sure your getting your times worth.
    Also, ensure the customers insurance company is up to snuff with you also.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm sure he's well aware that he bought a boat that someone can run faster than it cruises at! hehehee..... You just cannot push things....I would never plan on pulling in an inlet at dark unless it's something like Port Everglades that's extremely well marked, well lit, and I've been in and out of it 10,000 times. Where are you taking it from/to?
  15. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Capt. J I just had to take it from New Rochelle, NY down to Cape May. Owner's wife didn't want to run on the ocean. We left at 4:30a.m. & pulled into Cape May around 9. It got really sloppy but I know Cape M is a deep enough harbor & wasn't worried about the night time entry. It's well marked. Naturally since they avoid anything rough, as soon as it got really sloppy, port side started sucking up water from the bottom of the tank & I had to drain off the racor every 15 min or so. It wasn't a fun ride but we got it there, cleaned her up, took the owner's car & headed back home. All in all, a good trip!
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That is one VERY long day. I'd check the fill caps and make sure the o-ring is in good condition on them and the vent location. Very rare that much water is just sitting in the tanks, it probably leaked in from deck fittings.
  17. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

That's the first thing I checked after the first time the port engine started to stumble. It wasn't too much water being that the boat "chugged down" 4 gallons per hour at the blistering 8 kts. LOL
  18. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Easily $400 a day and make it a two day trip. On a boat you don't know? Perhaps $500 because you may end up with a situation like water in the fuel like you did, which is a disaster waiting to happen. Never go in inlet at night unless it's Port Everglades or better; you could have water in the fuel and wind against tide which leaves you on the rocks. Another thread had a person take the boat down the coast and claim it to be easy; one time does not equate to every time. It only takes one wrong thing to see someone or something hurt badly. The risk may be small but the consequences are great.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with Bamboo. I wouldn't feel it prudent to pull out at 4:30am in the dark, or into Cape May at 9pm in the dark. UNLESS it was like Port Everglades. But I would've made that a normal 2 day trip. IMO the biggest skill or a Captain is decision making and risk mitigation.
  20. olderboater

How many helmsman were there? What kind of shifts did you work? What kind of rest?

I'm just saying that while I know it's done all the time, that doesn't make it right, and if you were "working" the entire time that is 16.5 hours and that, in my opinion, is too much and fatigue leads to mistakes, especially when making nighttime entries into inlets. If you had been in a role subject to maritime labor rules you exceeded the allowable hours in a day. As to Cape May at night, not my preference, but especially at night after 16.5 hours. I don't understand pushing yourself so.