Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Worlds largest Gigayacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by OrthoKevin, May 27, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 84far

84far Senior Member

Opcn... that's why I wrote design (not vessel), it not just a pretty picture either, there's layout drawings to every deck, which is useful, epically as the vessel is just going through it's second lot of quotes with a second yard (just been reading the first quote).... not much more than Azzam actually and comparable percentage wise.

Another note Opcn, Azzam is a semi displacement hull with waterjets which allows the vessel to reach high speeds (35knots+ I believe), the DC hull design is a displacement hull, with pod drives (derived from current navy vessels) - slow in comparison, but DC can hold more. Comparing the 2 on paper is like comparing an Aston Martin to a Maybach - different beasts. Also, if there was a scaled down version of the design it comes in at 185m.... still 5m more than Azzam, plus on top of that her gross tonnage would still out do Azzam.

Opcn, I respect people will have there opinions - I sure have mine... but using terms like "rightly hailed" and leading to say I copied that straight line yacht is just straight up BS and you know that.... there's so many difference in the 2 it's not funny. And yet again to break another one of your theories I started this concept back in July 2012, how could I have possible know of Azzam existences....

The design of the vessel was meant to fall inline with current build techniques, preferred layouts, power plants - basically a buildable design (however remote that is), no starship trends that will out date in 5 years time, no 75% of the hull that's glass. Everything on the design has been proven. The vessel I was working on all of 2014 was more or less revolutionary in regards to build techniques, and there was a lot of design and build mods half way through the build... a vessel of this size with something completely left field would be a nightmare - Azzam power plant would be a good example. Cheers

Far
  2. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

You were speaking about what it looks like, so I took that to mean the visual aspects above the water line, rather than the hydrodynamic properties. If we want to talk about them I'm afraid I cannot tell a great deal about the hull form from the two dimensional line drawing, it really just looks like a suggestion of what it might be to me. In that respect, it suggests a very shallow draft on this craft as well (just like Azzam, though maybe not pushing the boundaries to quite the same extreme) and the pods don't strike me as super revolutionary given that they are far more common on ships of this size.

Yes, you can make a long list of differences, but the problem is that the list of similarities is too long. As to general arrangement, unless an NA has gone over is and worked out the weights to make sure the trim is right, and the bulkheads are structural bulkheads, the GA is more of a suggestion. In a ship this size a prospective buyer is going to have their own personal set of requirements, and huge portions of that work will almost certainly have to be redone, so the fact that that layout is different than the layout of azzam is not going to sway me either.

This daily mail piece is the only one I've read on the subject and, much like the 4yacht website, it seems to me that 2/3rds had nothing to do with 4yacht and the remainder was all hypothetical.

Do you have any personal insight that is changing your mind? Or have you just taken the claims in the 4yacht press release to heart? Ever work with this designer or with the proprietor of 4yacht?

You mentioned the design getting shopped around for estimates, to me that is not necessarily indicative of any progress towards being built. No one is going to build this on spec, and no buyer seems to exist. Or is there a buyer in the wings who no one has seen any sign of?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok, trying not to laugh too hard over that question. I'll leave it to Far to answer though.
  4. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I must have skipped over something.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's a bit of a riddle.