Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Wood and Inlays

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ladies choice, Mar 2, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

After looking at many of the interiors on the featured yachts, including the latest Warren 87, I am thrilled with the variety of woods available, Not knowing anything though about the various woods, thier densities, costs per linear foot, availablity etc.. Such as the Madrona they mention being the most expensive! Just how expensive is that anyone know? It looked liked they used quite alot of it in that yacht.

I was hoping the many brilliant members can enlighten me on the choices available to a builder, the pros/cons of any in particular and perhaps even have a showcase of the various woods and incredible inlays that have been done on some of the more talented cabinet makers and woodworkers. Along with a little background of the wood used, the yacht it is on and even if it is known where the lumber/tree is native to and obtained... ok that last one might be a stretch!

In speaking with a Architect whom I want to do the design of my house I mentioned the love I have for woods even though I want something very contemporary in both home and yacht.

I thought I could pass on some of the examples that are gathered in this thread to him as well for our idea book that I am putting together. I may end up having the company RNL Design out of Denver that he is a member of now do not only the build of my home but the interior of the yacht I end up with choosing as well.

Check out these sites if you like that sort of stuff either at www.rnldesign.com/ or Michael Brendles site www.brendleapv.com/, The blue cube home under residences is what caught my eye on the travel channel TV show about vacation homes, though I want a bit more woods involved in the interior and exterior of the home, and as many varieities that will work well together.

Next after woods I will move onto Tiles...;)
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

LC, there are some people here that I'd bet they could tell you what area of which particular forest each piece of wood in a given yacht originally was cut down from.:D