Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Wireless weather forecasts?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CTdave, May 10, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Wireless online weather forecasts?

So, I'm headed North once again from Stuart FL to Greenwich CT on my 42 Post.
    Has anyone had any success with a cellular dial-up for internet service? I have had hit or miss forecasts from marinas along the way.
    When I see live radar & info from NOAA and Weather Underground, I usually do well on my own but I'm wondering how to get online info while underway.
    Any hints or tips? I'm leaving this coming Monday a.m. (after a Palm Beach Sunday blowout).
    Carl, want to come up to PB for some fun on my boat?
    For those who don't know, Carl was gracious enough to host me aboard the ever beautiful 71' Broward "Good Deal" for the Ft. Lauderdale air/sea show.
    The only thing that showed up the FA 18's and the Blue Angels was Carls high flying acrobatic moves with his giant (6' or so) remote controlled helicopter.
    Inverted flight inches above the spectators, high climbing controlled stalls, barrel rolls and down right nerve racking stunts awed the hundreds of boaters in the area.
    Nobody cheered the big birds but when Carl landed after several flights, everyone cheered and all the boats/yachts sounded their horns!
    My hat is off to our very own "board God". Way to go Carl!
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Oh man... I'm blushing. Thank you, Dave!

If you actually thought I was in control of that thing, then you might have been under the influence of the Super-Soaker. :p Actually, that squirt gun on steroids had me feeling pretty sick the next day. Have to admit, my flying got much better after getting "shot" (it cured the post flight shakes!).

I was hoping to get together with you in Stuart before your trip, but I'm leaving for the Virgin Islands Saturday morning. I'll take a rain check on the invite and we'll get together next time you're in town.

Are you running to Connecticut on the inside or the outside? Oh yeah, be sure to take a digital with you on the cruise. :)

Talk to you soon...
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Carl
    I will be outside as much as possible but as usual, the weather will dictate how much ICW we will see.
    I will have the digi camera & will report back with full coverage...........
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

Dave,

I just got a new cell phone w/ internet access.

The verdict:

- doesn't work all the time (today works fine, tomorrow not at all - why????) :confused:
    - when it does work its too painful to look at a 1" X 1.5" screen!!!!!

When it works you can in theory surf the web with it. But it is really nasty trying to find someinthing on a page. As far as using it under way - well you will need to stop to look at it for sure or have someone else drive the boat at that time. My guess is it will introduce you to seasickness....

But hey it does have a color screen :D

I think you may have coverage issues depending upon what kind of network the phone is on, etc.

Hope this is of some help

John
  5. YachtForums

The ICW is scenic, but finding markers at night is more challenging than dating women from Boca! Hope you're not doing this alone. :eek:

When you're off the coast of Norfalk, keep an eye out for quick-blips on your fish finder... the Navy's testing new torpedos that exceed Mach 1 underwater. (no joke). Read about it Popular Science this week.

If you can wait till I get back from the islands, I'll make the trek with you. I'll even chip in $20 for gas. :D
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hey Carl
    Well, I have done the trip more times than women I have...........um......"met" from Boca (challenging).
    I have actually seen very bazzar readings on radar near Norfolk, but nothing on the fish finder...yet...
    We will be departing West Palm Beach on Monday a.m. but I will wait a few days for you & your $20 :rolleyes: :eek:
    Seriously, I have two great guys coming with me (and alot of great stops scheduled) so if your free, I cover all expences & air fare
  7. YachtForums

If you had two great GIRLS coming with you... I'd be there! But four guys on a boat.... bad ratios! :p Honestly, I'd rather make the run up the coast with you than fly down to the Virgin Islands, but... business comes first.

Hey, I just got the new Uniden Mystic VHF/GPS handheld radio. I won't be using it in the islands, as I'm flying down. If you need it, you're welcome to take it as a back-up. You might need it if one of those Mach 1 torpedos veers off course. :eek:
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Up north you need a CDMA cell phone ,the GMA networks sucks.
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

I tether my laptop to my AT&T cellphone, throw the cellphone up on a high spot. Not fast but full screen and unlimited data for a reasonable monthly fee. Coverage is of course not as good as satellite, but it does work in a lot of areas. There are also cellphone boosters that you could put higher up on the pole. (It is line of sight). Haven't had any personal experience but do know people that swear by it.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I think things may have changed since the first post in this thread back 15 years ago :)
  11. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Ah, yes, I see. I was suckered in to that one..... :confused:
  12. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

HA!! I didn't even remember posting that four boats and 15 years ago. I remember getting a gps weather warning system but heck, you can get better info on a cell phone now or Satcom if your WAY offshore. My my, things have certainly changed. Where's my beeper and a .10c pay phone when you need it? I think this post should receive a proper death. I sound like a complete googan newbie.
    Happy 4th everyone, be safe out there!
    If by any chance anyone was planning on the Dolan family fireworks on the 4th, it's not happening this year. His daughter's wedding was three weeks ago and they had their typical 4th party with their closest 2,500 friends and fireworks.
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I've fallen into the same trap several times, no worries!