Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Wire nuts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Nov 30, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I opened a can of worms on another post referring to wire nuts on board a boat.
    I'd rather not tie up that thread any more than I did.

I have never seen a wire nut that was plastic only. Usually they have a steel spiral insert in them to grip the wire ends to fasten together. Guessing, maybe a copper spiral could be available?
    This steel insert would probably react with copper or tinned copper wire. Plastic or copper may not have this problem if there is such and used.
    This steel insert would probably rust, fail and cause problems just from the salt air.
    Rarely is there a sealed junction box in a small or medium boat bilges.
    I'm sure vibrations found on small boats could cause a wire nut to loosen and fail also.

Weather or not anybody agrees with me on this, I will never use wire nuts on board any boat, any size.

Oh, those squeeze on connects that come with trailer light kits don't belong on a boat either.

,rc
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

RC
    You demonstrate an understanding of how over bearing we can become. We sure did hi-jack Joe's post!

On the wire nut thing. I'm going to repeat others comments, but I remember years ago watching the solid strand copper wire being twisted together in the proper direction and then the nut "screwed" on. Very often taped after the fact. And these were land side applications. Stranded wire which was develop to allow more pliability in the wire run, but just doesn't accept those "nuts" as well. Pouring epoxy or silicone into the open side only interferes with conductivity, imo., and is an admission that the "nut" is not a proper connector on a boat.

Recreational boating is conducted in a harsh environment, so take the time to do the best repair/installation that makes sense.- on any repair. For goodness sakes you're out in the bay or the sea probably with your family. Failures in an inlet can be bad (remember Mr. Murphy?) IMO, as supported by ABYC and others , stranded wire should be connected with a soldered joinder or a mechanical crimp (if you fish you know how important that is on braided wire) Then cover the connection with a marine shrink wrap material - and go that little extra distance, its inexpensive compared to a failure. If you want to put a little silicone around each shrink wrap end, that's not bad either. It adds to the strength of the connection and reduces permeability. All marine wiring should be supported at reasonable intervals to prevent stretch, tension, and keep it out of harm's way.

This is all aspirational, of course. If you have to get home or take the in- laws out for lunch, sometimes a bobby pin in the right spot works too?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think you were all just advising on things he was considering that you would not recommend. As to the various forms of connecting wires that some would use, many are not appropriate even on land in a far more protected environment. While the odds are very much against having a problem, we still do see a lot of land based electrical fires and most are the result of short cuts taken.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What is "too large"?

What size should a butt connector be when used that way?

Should a butt connector be used that way?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ideally, no it should not be used that way. They are designed to have 1 wire of the proper size of the butt connector in each end to gain a positive crimp and seal on 360 degrees of the wire end. I've seen 2 16 gauge wires crimped into the same end of a 12-10 gauge heatshrink butt connector and the other side left open in a wet location like a bilge pump. Heatshrink wouldn't seal the open end and etc. Instead of using a 14-16 gauge butt connector with 1 wire in each end and crimped. There are a lot of ways to do something like an island engineer would and half the time they're acceptable, but are they really right, no. I don't do things unless they're done right.

I choose to do things the best way for the job that looks and is like something a good manufacturer would do and meets ABYC and USCG standards. I do things textbook so that nobody can come back after me and say "why did somebody do it this way." I take pride in the mechanical work that I do. Just like I always use AWAB hose clamps instead of those crappy breeze ones on all of my customers boats. Are they acceptable, yes, do breeze clamps last more than a year or two near the bilge before breaking in half, no. Just like I always use manufacturers filters and parts instead of Napa/WIX/Fram etc. etc. Nobody can fault you for an oil related malfunction on a CAT that has a CAT oil filter on it and the proper level of CAT oil in the pan.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Let me try to draw aweigh from that other thread about soldered connections.
    Behind the radios and GPS, with real (real) skinny wire, I do solder and shrink tube everything. The pink (red) crimp connects are still to large. The wires are then bundled and tie-wrapped down. Not much flexing going on here to break the now rigid, light & dry wire splice.

Is there any special crimps smaller than pink (red) other than fishing lure crimps for those dam small wires?

Now, lest take a solder connect in the bilge for a float switch. IMO bad idea. Not only have you inserted a different material into the galvanic formula between metals in a wet environment, (shrink only goes so far), I think the heaver wires will flex no mater how well it tie-wrapped up.

Next, If the wire was not virgin, the solder/flux will probably not flow or make a proper connection.
    Remember, crimping was designed for partial self cleaning under the crimp pressure. No pressure in soldering or any mechanical attachment other than the lead & tin flowing thru clean strands and cooling.
    May as well be supper glue if the copper is dark.

Honestly, I have never witnessed a solder failure in real life. Just been preached about it.

Don't think it's ABYC either.

Your turns;
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Let me try to draw more aweigh from that other thread about multi wires per crimp.

I am guilty of this. 3 wires, two small, one medium, pull out that shrink blue butt connect.
    Never witnessed a failure on this either.

I hate those ring connects that are riveted together to make a 3 or 4 way splice.

I will comment on the preached method;
    All wires with terminating crimps connected to a common multi connecting stud or bar.

I think that is ABYC.

Your turns;
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Wire nut or not? http://www.idealind.com/products/wire_termination/lugs/set_screw_connector.jsp

Two wires in a butt connector?
    Or like NASA (talk about heat/cold/corrosive atmosphere/vibration) does it ...

https://standards.nasa.gov/documents/detail/3314921
    http://workmanship.nasa.gov/lib/insp/2 books/frameset.html

I use uninsulated connectors for all connections that require butt splices and also use uninsulated ring terminals then heat shrink after crimping.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016,fff800b6,ffec52b0

If the wires may need to be separated regularly for service then use aircraft grade knife splices covered with clear heat shrink.

The quality of crimpers available for uninsulated connectors is generally far better (expensive but worth every penny) and the ability to easily verify crimp quality is priceless. They are available for wire as small as 26AWG and if used in wet locations should be covered with adhesive lined heat shrink, use regular heat shrink in dry locations.
    http://www.newark.com/heat-shrink-tubing-adhesive-lined/prl/results

For bilge pump and float switch connections on small boats (that are seemingly always in need of replacement) I use a small non metallic enclosure of the type made by Vynckier http://www.vynckier.com/ with a Euro style terminal block inside to make the connections.

Euro style blocks make the connections "touch safe" and are far more reliable than the open screw style. In critical applications I use crimped insulated ferrules to eliminate the risk of stray wire problems. Again, the crimper for these is expensive but the results are priceless. Wiring into and out of the enclosure is by way of plastic cable glands to assure a water and vapor tight seal. Think about the next guy who has to replace the pump or float switch, leave a wiring diagram in the box before closing it up. Connecting a bilge pump/switch in any other way is, in my opinion, less than professional and makes servicing far more difficult in the future. That is what always leads to the kind of redneck wiring that is so common on small boats.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Having spent so much time and effort along sometimes with bloody knuckles and cramped muscles, I have taken a different approach to the bilge pumps on my 53 Hatt which I am currently refitting

Each pump (6 of them ) is mounted on a starboard bracket along with the float switch and the high water alarm switch. This way, the screw are easy to reach and the whole thing can be pulled for troubleshooting and part replacement

Each set is powered by a 10ga harness color cused (5 wires total)

The 6 bilge pumps and the 2 shower sumps are powered thru a sub panel with breakers, over ride switches and LEDs showing each pump status (ready, running, high water)

This sub panel is fed from the main bank separately from the main panel and is visible from anywhwwre in the main saloon

I will also add a repeater indicator panel at the FB helm

I ahve seen way to many boats where the pump and high water alarms are hidden behind cabinetry or positioned where they are hard to see

Attached Files:

10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

On my last boat the high water alarm was connected to a $9.95 car horn. VERY loud, and audible over the entire boat, with engine running.
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Just tried these on a switch in the engine room. They are supposed to be waterproof.
    They worked as per the description on the packet. Shrunk very tight and the solder melted on the inside, onto the overlapped wires.
    No crimping needed. Just heat.

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      40.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Low temp solder or still required an iron?
    Think I can make out the part number from the pic. I'll try to look it up.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, a .COM.AU site.
    Low temp solder. They seem to have a large variety of these things.
    Some where (long ago) I remember reading something about low temp solder.
    Don't think it was reported positively.

Anybody out there know anything on low temp solder?
  14. Metatron

Metatron New Member

For what it's worth, non lead based solders like we are currently using everywhere in electronics and plumbing are not as reliable as good old lead based solder. Their shock resistance is considerably less.

I suspect that low temp solders would not be as reliable as the good stuff. Convenience can bite you. I would tend to stick with tried and proven methods.

Just my 2 cents.
  15. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The first try didn't work. I think it may have been the mini blow torch!
    Second try used a Bic lighter, slowly, worked well.
    P.M me if you want me to get some packs to you.
    Cheers
  16. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

The NARVA brand appears to be down under. However, Amazon lists a very similar looking connector made by Tyco.