Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

Winter ICW Trip - Annapolis to Tampa

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Yachtguymke, Dec 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Diesel at Town Creek in Beaufort is $2.86. Morehead City Yacht Basin is $2.67, Morehead City Gulf Dock is $2.65. This is per Waterway Guide.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Coinjock?
  3. olderboater

$2.89
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I remember the days when they were the cheapest on the east coast. Obviously no more. $.35 is substantial.
  5. olderboater

Well, one thing happening is that prices are changing with each delivery, so whoever is lowest today may not be tomorrow when someone else gets a fuel deliver.
  6. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

We are in Swan Point Marina today. Dinged a prop at marker 61 just south of Swansboro. Marker 61 seems to be off station according to many locals and the channel is shallow even at high tide. It's a weird setup going through and I was favoring the port side near the nun going through it. Diver should be here shortly to pull the prop, run it to Wilmington and then back this afternoon - Hopefully. The joys of running the ICW. Wish the weather was better as I would be running outside the rest of this trip. After we get fixed, I am going to run south to a good inlet and hit the open ocean, if weather allows of course. Would like to be in Charleston mid week.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you're running the ICW to Charleston, the area North of Charleston for about 50 miles has shallow spots as well. I'd recommend running the ICW at mid tide or higher.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wow, I'm surprised. I'd be less surprised by Lockwood's Folley or Shalotte. If I recall that's one of the better areas. However, you don't run buoy to buoy on the ICW, nor do you follow the magenta line on the charts. You need to read the waters and the topography. I haven't look at my chart, but when you tell us marker 61 it tells be you were running the green side of the channel. Look for the water's color and texture changes, and keep away from the inside of curves.

Well, chalk this one up to education, and hopefully you're underway and enjoying the ride soon.

P.S.: Keep the woolies handy. Cold weather coming this week. Pick up a bunch of those hand/body warmers.

Is the guy doing your prop from Bennett Brothers? If so please say Hi from Capt. Ed on Valhalla.

South of Cape Fear there's no inlet I recommend using except Georgetown.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree Georgetowne is good.....I use that over Charleston most of the time. It is a long run in though to the marina. I stay at the marina right next to the bridge (not in the pocket) and you can fuel at your slip if you're leaving the next day, they're open late usually, and have a pretty good seafood/steak restaurant right next door and a good hotel right there if needed.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like your talking about Georgetown Landing. That's my regular stop as well. Georgetown, Charleston and Port Royal are all good inlets. All depends how far you plan to reach on a given day. Georgetown to Charleston is a day's run on the inside, but the outside should take you to P.R. (Beaufort or Hilton Head).
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, that's the one.
  12. Yachtguymke

Update - Left the boat in Hampstead to have a bunch of work done. We are changing out both props and shafts. Had a tad more damage with the shoal that we were originally led to believe. While that is getting done, we are also having the bottom bead blasted and painted. Labor is inexpensive and I had to fly back to tend to some work. Heading back in a couple of weeks to complete the trip. Hopefully the weather is better and I'll be able to run offshore instead of the ditch. In the meantime, I uploaded a GoPro video to YouTube which can be found here:

13. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I suggest using Active Captain as you travel along the ICW. While they are not perfect, the caution markers do come in handy to at least give you a heads up to a potential trouble spot as you move along or plan for the next day.
  14. Yachtguymke

Heading back down to the boat on Sunday to get it off the hard and back in the water. Anyone know of a good weather outlet? Getting differing information on forecasts and I want to run out the Cape Fear River to Charleston the first day. Anxious to see how the boat is going to run out with a new bottom, gear and propspeed!
  15. Yachtguymke

Is that the City Marina? That's where I am going on Monday.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Georgetown is the next inlet North of Charleston, it's a 16NM run in from the Sea Buoy but you can run at cruise the entire way with just one quick slow speed for a dock, but a good stop....I think I stay at Georgetown Landing marina, you can fuel at your slip if you tell them you're on a delivery (they put you in a slip near the fuel dock), there's also a hotel (Hampton INN I think) and a good restaurant right next door. Charleston I usually stay at the City of Charleston marina which is a 13NM run from the sea buoy. But restaurants aren't close except one next to the gas station, which the food is good enough......If you can stay a few days, Charleston and down town is a great stop, Hank's Seafood is awesome there.
  17. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

Georgetown S.C.... Ex home of the Gulf Dock, the Moose Club, and the world famous Sunset Lodge..
  18. Yachtguymke

Just finished the trip and got back to frigid Maryland last night. Rest of the trip took 7 Days, weather was bitterly cold. Started in Wrightsville Beach and finished in Tampa. Amazing Trip, lots of fun, Little Mud River was very interesting at Low Tide and the run through Okeechobee was a blast. Good to have the boat there and be back home. Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful although I started to have a coolant issue with the 3196 Cats on the Port Motor. Here is a pic from Cabbage Key on the way to Tampa. Stopped overnight and had a Cheeseburger in Paradise!

Attached Files:

19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd NEVER do little mud river at low tide.....always at high tide.....
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some folk aren't scared of a lil mud...