Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Winter ICW Trip - Annapolis to Tampa

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Yachtguymke, Dec 30, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

On Friday I am leaving with an Ocean 48' Super Sport from Annapolis to Tampa. Should be a fun and interesting trip. Boat is provisioned, charts are updated, both Electronic and Paper, boat has been fully gone through and I have a ton of spares on board. Traveling with two friends that will join me for the ride. Has anyone done this route in the Winter? Last time for me was about 10 years ago and it was in the fall.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I have not made that trip this time of year but I only see two or three issues. First is keeping yourselves warm and I assume you're well prepared for that. Now I also assume you'll be keeping the engine and all liquids adequately warm. Second is just dealing with the shorter days which are under 10 hours and can be made shorter by morning fog. We enjoy warm weather most but we never let cold stop us from enjoying the water. Now we obviously don't live on the Great Lakes.
  3. Yachtguymke

Keeping warm won't be an issue as I have Flybridge heat and a full enclosure as well.
  4. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

At least for the early portion of your trip, call ahead to verify fuel availability.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Happy New Years and safe travels. Keep us up on your adventure. Don't forget lots of pictures,,, We like to watch..
    ,rc
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I haven't done Florida's west coast, but I've transported a few boats south in January. It's lonely (as in don't expect help in a hurry), and traffic light, but there will be a few boats out there with you. Other than that and the weather being much worse this time of year there are no real problems. I've never had trouble finding fuel or mechanical help, but I recommend not fueling at backwater marinas as their fuel may have been sitting since September. Be sure to check Dial-A-Buoy before venturing to the outside as the ocean tends to kick up a lot in winter. Although Masonborough is an OK inlet, the only inlets I recommend between Beaufort & Charleston are Cape Fear & Georgetown. So plan accordingly. Also, keep the sorter days in mund when planning your day's run. Marina staffs will be minimal, and may well close up before 1600. Although advance reservations shouldn't be necessary, do call earlier in the day to confirm when they plan to close up.

Although I've encountered serious ice on the boats and docks throughout the Carolinas, I've never seen more than skim ice on the water.

Check Cruisersnet for the latest on shoaling, and remember the Rock Pile down by Myrtle Beach.

One thing to be prepared for though is that many of the marinas may have their fresh water shut off. So conserve your tank. All Bathroom facilities should be operational, but the rooms may be a wee bit chilly.
  7. Yachtguymke

Thanks NYCAP! Running to Norfolk the First day, then onto Beaufort, then Charleston. Obviously, schedule depends on weather and the state of my crew as well as myself. I will be at the helm for the whole trip which should be interesting. Trying to get to warmer weather fast as this cold is for the birds. Then it can be a leisurely trip the rest of the way...

Attached Files:

8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I like Tidewater in Norfolk, although I was disappointed with their restaurant last time, but there's some good places in Porstsmouth a few blocks away. The run to Beaufort is easy enough, but I'd think about a stop at Coinjock, as that's the longest / slowest 50 miles on the coast due to timing the bridges and lock. If you end up running the inside from Beaufort to Charleston I'd recommend a stop in Georgetown. Again for both, keeping in mind the short days.

P.S. Generally good fuel prices at Tidewater and Coinjock, and great steaks at Coinjock
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think you might want to tone your daily runs down a little. Long days of summer, runs of roughly 180 and 230 nm aren't so bad. But this time of year, that's a challenge.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you're taking the inside from Norfolk to Beautfort, it probably will be hard to do in the winter hours. I usually run the inside to just South of Coinjock and then run Pamlico sound to Adam's creek, you can run at cruise the entire way except for 2 tall bridges on the North end where you have to set it down for a minute just to go under them. I don't think you have the speed to make Beaufort in a day, but could stop in Oriental or Coinjock depending on timing and daylight.

Lake Okeechobee has lock hours of 7-7pm now.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With the low traffic at this time of year, it's probably faster (and certainly more scenic) to go the Alligator River route. Also, I've gotten my tail handed to me on the Pamlico Sound route down where it meets the Neuse River when winds are up.
  12. Yachtguymke

Thanks for all of the advice. Alligator River is the passage we are taking. Pamlico, although quicker will be a nightmare for if the winds are howling. I know I can take it, but my crew, not so much. Looking to take a nice trip south with the new boat and enjoy it while it lasts as at the end of this trip, I have to be back in Annapolis for the rest of the winter! We leave at first light tomorrow. Anxious to see how the boat performs. Will try to update everyday with some images and information. Happy New Year All!
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Other than a few showers over the weekend it looks like you have nice weather for cruising. Enjoy your trip.
    P.S. Love the burgers at Clawson's in Beaufort.:)
  14. Belle

Belle Member

Oh my....Nycap and his love for hamburgers emerges. :)

Beaufort is filled with great restaurants. Front street is lined. Seafood at Front Street Grill, Aqua, The Spouter Inn, Old Salt, Queen Anne's. Good restaurants include Blue Moon which is incredible, Boardwalk, Beaufort Grocery, Blackbeard's, Ribeye's, Royal James and many more and that's before adding Morehead City to the picture. Even if choosing Clawson's, try the crab cakes or Mahi Mahi or a southern tradition I don't eat is Shrimp and Grits. Their ribeye isn't bad either. Or if hamburgers are your thing then go that route. But many of us want more than a hamburger, especially when passing through a prime fishing area with fresh seafood galore.

Or if you "get stuck" at Coinjack, you can try the 32 ounce prime rib if that's your fancy.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I can make a great burger right at home. I'm with Belle, when I travel through the Carolina's, I want seafood. Some things are amazing up there, crab cakes, shrimp, tuna, shrimp and grits, the seafood chowders......etc.....

If the wind isn't howling, I'd go Pamlico.....the Alligator river is where you get the nasty brown beard on the bow and hull that takes 1/2 a day to get off.......

I prefer Moorehead City over Beaufort, but both are good and both have great restaurants and sights to see.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

Beaufort is like Mayberry with yachts. The town docks area is very picturesque. The 'gate' to get in the channel can be tricky. I came in once with ripping wind and current. The cans were way off their mark and you have to make a hard 90 degree left turn. Not fun in an 85' footer.

I prefer the yacht basin at Morehead City. The charts show shallow water to access the basin but in reality it's 10' minimum at low tide.

I always take the Pamlico route.
  17. Yachtguymke

Hi All! Currently sitting at Atlantic Yacht Basin, just outside the Great Bridge Locks. We ran about 155 Miles yesterday and rather than stopping in Norfolk, I continued through to Great Bridge. Great run yesterday, making 24.5 knots, arriving in Norfolk about 5 hours after leaving Annapolis. The speed came to a screeching halt with our arrival at Norfolk and was slow idle the rest of the way. Today we are leaving at first light to make our way down to Beaufort.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

[QUOTE=" The speed came to a screeching halt with our arrival at Norfolk and was slow idle the rest of the way. Today we are leaving at first light to make our way down to Beaufort.[/QUOTE]

Now you know why I suggested stopping at Coinjock if you'd held at Norfolk. From AYB Beaufort should be no sweat. Just below Great Bridge there's been a couple of bald eagles hanging around for years. Keep your eyes open for them.
    You may want to make a fast fuel stop at Coinjock on your way. Good fuel prices, a high speed pump and a very fast in/out.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Now you know why I suggested stopping at Coinjock if you'd held at Norfolk. From AYB Beaufort should be no sweat. Just below Great Bridge there's been a couple of bald eagles hanging around for years. Keep your eyes open for them.
    You may want to make a fast fuel stop at Coinjock on your way. Good fuel prices, a high speed pump and a very fast in/out.[/QUOTE]

I've found that Moorehead City Marina's fuel prices are generally $0.20-$0.30 a gallon cheaper than Coinjock the last several years.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good to know. I've never stopped on that side. Although, if they're going to Beaufort, Coinjock or beaufort would make more sense than a seperate stop.