Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Why not a used Azimut?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by Zud, Jun 1, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Okay kids, my first post after lurking (as well as learning) for months. I know all about the Azimut owner with the warranty and service issues. Those issues understood, why not buy a 10 - 12 year old Azimut if all surveys come back good and the boat fits my needs ??
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If:
    -It fits your needs well and you like it
    -Boat and engines survey well, including electrical
    -You sea trial it, including rough conditions, and like it.

Then no reason not to buy it.

Put it through it's paces, but don't fall so in love before that if the surveyor finds problems or if you take a sea trial and don't like how it handles rough water, you continue anyway. That's not just aimed at Azimut, but any boat.

And I emphasize rough conditions, even if you have to make your own. Nearly every boat rides great on smooth water.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Because you cannot fix their engineering headaches and tend to have the same issues/systems fail over and over again because the systems were poorly installed and/or poorly engineered. Getting to parts to replace them, can take a lot of headache as well. I can list pages of examples, but........Parts can also be hard to come by for them. Also their interior fabrics are not the type of fabric that's in it for the long haul.
  4. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Okay, I'll bite...boat is 12 years old, interior seems to be in excellent condition. What "engineering headaches" should I especially be looking for. I understand the cats are rather tightly packed in the engine compartment but someone somewhere has to be able to work on them.

If they are so bad give me other options!!!
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Please search over this site on Da Muts. To help several folks not retype a novel here on whats already been commented on thru the years (years) on Da Muts.

Skippy J has lots of experience here that has been repeated by others.

I stuck my head into one a few years ago and walked away. I can not fit or reach items that needed repairs. Think the bank still owns it.

If your hot for the boat, under$tand it a real high maintenance item and be prepared for repeat issues.
    If your still hot for it and you have re-read OBs comments a few times, then we will see you on da waters.

Cheers,
    rc
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've read the threads, so you know the issues. I'd be more inclined to buy used than new in the same hopes you have that the issues would have been addressed. How many hours on the boat? Ideally you'd like to see 1200 to 2400 (100 to 200 per year. Less and she was a dock queen and the issues may not have been addressed. Also check the ownership records. Was she sold every 2 or 3 years or did one owner have her for most of that time? These also can be indicators of how she was treated. The parts situation is am issue, an that only gets worse with age. l
  7. Zud

Zud Senior Member

okay so Azimut may have issues...Boat has 400 hrs, fresh water and is one owner. What else fits in this category that may be better 46 to 52 foot Fly.
  8. olderboater

I'm going to say this in fairness. While I would not buy an Azimut, there are happy owners of them. A worse record than other brands but still. You'll need to make your own decision on the particular boat you're considering.

Alternatives-dozens from Hatteras to Sunseeker to Princess to Viking. Then toss in Trawler brands and semi-displacement trawler like boats, so Kadey Krogen, Grand Banks, etc.

What are your requirements in the boat? How do you intend to use it and where? How many typically aboard? What is your experience?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Exhaust compensators that go about 500 hours and split and start leaking exhaust into the engine room. Can only be ordered from Azimut in Italy with the clamps usually.

You need a marine electrician on speed dial.

One boat I worked on, had about 50' of holding tank hose from the tank to the Y through a stateroom (in the bilge) up the aft wall in a big loop then back to the macerator and through a check valve and out of the seacock. All of the equipment was located in a 10' area and could've been done with 17' of hose, but you couldn't access the part running under the stateroom and up the bulkhead to remove it. So needless to say changing macerator pumps was a regular occurance.

Just search on the rest as there's lots of it.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is that 400 hours since over haul or new? Hours on the gen set(s)?
    If that's 400 hours since new, run, quick.
    Or is that bank boat back on the market????? I'll have to look that up.
    As NYC tried to explain above, there needs to be some hours per year to prove it was used. Lack of use on those big engines can be bad also. Used or not, coolant and oil needs to be changed as many other services. OR, parts start getting contaminated and fail when you need them.

And the rest of the boat, not used, can start failing at any monent..

Can you take a hint yet????
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There was a post from a Mut owner last year. Almost sounded like a sales job. He stated he wanted people to know, after many issues (pages), many attempts to resolve some, some warranty and heavy on going maintenance,,,, that he still liked his Mut.
    Was a great used car sales man.
  12. Zud

Zud Senior Member

okay hint meet zuds face...Now where do I go... Low hours on old boat - bad, high hours on old boat - bad. High price on new boat - bad.

Azimut - bad, cored hulls - bad. I may just buy a summer home in hurricane central and lessen the risk !
  13. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Boats are all about compromise. Since there are always compromises someone is always going to have a problem with any set of compromises, and other people will be fine with them. What you really don't want to compromise is any of the running capacity of the yacht (because that is unsafe, and it prevents you from using your boat). A drain that doesn't drain properly is more of a lifestyle impingement, it's unpleasant, but you can make due. If you don't want to risk any compromises, prepare to pay a lot for a boat from a highly reputable builder whose main focus is function, but even there you might be compromising on time (for a custom) or styling (if they don't make what you prefer). One of the most commonly issues with yachts like these are the finishes, people report losing surface treatments (like foam) or surfaces that are improperly prepared and permanently ugly, or uncleanable. Those are also major lifestyle compromises, but you can schedule repairs at your convenience, which is nice.
  14. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

I would look at Sunseeker, Princess/Viking Sport Cruiser or Sea Ray. The first two being a bit better in quality. We bought a 1 owner 10 year old 50 ft Viking SC flybridge with 750 hours on her. She was very well maintained by a meticulous owner. In our 6.5 seasons we have put over 1000 hours on the boat including 3 ½ round trips from the Chesapeake to the Bahamas (on our way right now). The Sunseeker/Vikings are a very good compromise between sea worthiness, style/usability, and build quality. No coring from the rub rail down in a Viking SC. We looked at Azimut and you can get a lot of boat for the money, but parts and service are much more difficult then the Viking. There were also quality issues where the British built boats are superior in hardware, interior goods, electrical layout, and overall serviceability.

The main compromise with these style boats are less interior room than say a Hatteras or trawler style, but you get a nice cockpit and built in swim platform with a big flybridge, so if you are island hopping and like water sports then these style flybridges are really well suited. Docking is also less stressful with good walkaround access and a big cockpit. If you like to run on plane for some distances, then a cruise speed of 20 plus knots with relatively reasonable fuel mileage is a major benefit relative to the trawlers or heavy Hatteras.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  15. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Thanks for all of the instruction as well as criticisms. More info for you to chew on...Mostly confined to Great Lakes for the next 6-10 years (not a probation issue!!!). After that, may do some near shore traveling to the southern states. May need at times to sleep 6 but mostly 2 or 4. How about a 55 Neptunus Fly-trying to stay under 400K
  16. olderboater

Everything else being equal I'd choose the Neptunus. The problem is everything else is seldom equal. I know someone right now desperately searching for a boat in South Florida as he just sold his, and that boat he wants just isn't out there. It's available in large numbers in Europe.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Neptunus builds a good boat with good factory support, utilizes all North American parts in the build etc.. Searay is a good choice and you can probably find your price on a mid to late 2000's 52' sedan bridge, Sunseeker is a good choice, Tiara. I'm not a viking/princess fan after running a few they run ok, I feel the build quality is half a step below the others mentioned, but have run them many miles (over 5000 NM's). The fact that they're still using the self destructing, fly away canvas convertible top in their hard tops after all these years boggles my mind.
  18. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Okay SeaRay what about the cored hull issues ??
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That was only during a brief period in the 90's. Before and after that the boats are solid and age very well. I managed 2 different 50' sundancers a 1991 and a 1994 up until 2 or 3 years ago. Both boats had aged very well and were solid. I run a newer one from time to time a 2007 and it took has aged well and the gelcoat looks new and interior has no woodwork issues.

Currently I'm looking at several yachts in the 65'-82' range for an owner. The boats are all 2005-2008. You can immediately tell the quality differences between the brands. You get on a 2006 Hatteras and the interior woodwork is perfect, the paint still looks as new, the teak still has plenty of life left. You get on another brand and multiple issues with the interior wood work, cracks, milky, etc., the teak needs replacing because they didn't put that thick of teak when the vessel is new, the gelcoat has multiple cracks everywhere, and basically needs painting......You're talking about yachts that are 6-9 years old. You get on a moderately to well cared for 1980's Hatteras and the woodwork inside is still nice.....etc.....
  20. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Thanks Capt J that helps. God knows that there are lots and lots of Sea Rays available. I'll keep looking--- Thanks again !!!