Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Why are lines called lines

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Sep 19, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

So some one asked me the other day why are there no ropes on a boat but only lines? I replied with a quote from the movie Captain Ron...
    "Well,, no one really knows why".
    Did I reply correctly? I am believing I did. Can any one proove me wrong?
  2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

We all know cordage or rope, as it is referred to on land, becomes “line” onboard a vessel. We accept this as traditional maritime terminology, but the origin of the word “line” as referred to in Psalms, marked the boundaries of one’s land or home, much like the “lines” running from a boat to a dock might outline a vessels place in the water. More recently, the word Line was used in the 15th century. The latin word “linea” meant a cord or thread made of hemp or flax. The word became “Ligne” in Old French, and finally “Line” in Old English.

Mathematically, a line connects two points. A sailing ship, with ropes strung from mast to deck, or from cleat to dock, create geometric patterns that emulate Lines. A line is also considered to be something that is long, thin and flexible, much like cordage.

It’s ironic that once a sailor understands the lines, he is said to “Know The Ropes”. Go figure!
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Small Fact

Officially speaking; the ONLY rope on a boat is attached to the ship's bell. :cool:
  4. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

There is another "MAN ROPE" which is a short rope with an eye in one end and a knob in the other that slides along a saftey line. Not commonly seen since the days of wooden ships and iron men as it has been replaced with a saftey harness
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What about Soap on a Rope?