Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

White/clouded varnish on Italian Yachts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Dec 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We are looking at a couple boats in France that are in great shape except the 10-12 year old varnish is whiting out. The boats are priced with this issue in mind.

What's the options to fix this? Who does it? Cost?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I fits lasted 10-12 yrs then it was certainly well applied when it was done. A full strip and re build will be the only long term viable way forward.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A lot of yachts had this issue in the early to mid 2000's, both foriegn and domestic. The type or brand of clear coat/eurethane was the issue. It can get very expensive to strip it and re-finish the woodwork. Not keeping the boat climate controlled sped up the issue or made it a lot worse on some boats than others.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It's not varnish its a urethane I think or some modern glossy finish.

The only fix is to strip it all to bare wood and re spray... A very time consuming and expensive job! It's also very messy as everything needs to be covered. We had some water damaged repaired under the windshield and the guy who did redid the veneer and then sprayed it spent a long time convering everything and setting up curtains to prevent the spray from landing elsewhere. Despite the precautions there was a fine mist on some surfaces although it came off easily.

We have a couple of white spots, very limited and they haven't grown in the last 7 years I ve been running the boat (2003 johnson 70). Too small to bother addressing but I can imagine having to fix this on a large scale.
  5. tequesta ed

tequesta ed New Member

I came across this on an Azmut yacht. I was told that the coating was not varnish but lacquer.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually it is neither, it is a Eurethane clear coat. A lot of yacht builders had issues with it in the mid 2000s.
  7. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

option????...........Dado brown
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Regal and Chris Craft come to mind.
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Clear coat paint on cars 20 years ago developed a lot of problems. However, unlike boats, most of those cars were already out of service. But 10 years old, if not repainted, most had a lot of oxidation. People were of the opinion that they didn't have to wash and wax clear like they did other, so left it to the elements.
  10. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Yes a normal issue on all (mostly) cherry wood varnish from mid nineties to 2005 on any brand of boat. I think I have seen it on all known production boat builders.

Surely less with more semi custom builds, but those did not use cherry wood much.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The years I've seen were more like 2000 to as late as 2006/7. Searay did not seem to be effected by it at all, nor Cabo, nor Hatteras. I did see it bad on Regals, cruisers, and others. It was an issue with the brand of Eurethane itself, not application.
  12. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Seen it on Fairline, Ferretti, Pershing, Princess, and a couple of others I cannot remember.
  13. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I have the issue on my 2008 Bertram 360. The interior is satin cherry wood.