Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Wheelchair accessable yachts...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AC7UB, Jun 10, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gallery1124

gallery1124 New Member

Wheelchair accessible

Hi,
    I'm an interior design student currently working on a project to design a wheelchair accessible yacht... Using a pre existing layout. I have layouts for both a 120' Nordhavn or a 130' Hargrave. I'm having trouble finding a way to get a lift from the main deck to the swimming platform... any suggestions. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
  2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi there and welcome aboard!

I think it will not be so safe to put someone on a wheelchair that close to water, you will find this issue raised early on in this thread. Many boats currently utilize a deck crane for this job.

Now, if you must do, you have many solutions:
    1) Design a 3 section passerelle, 2 sections would stretch out and form a two level sloping arm reaching the platform or 3 to fully expand and reach the dock. The issues I guess you will face would be the width of the arms, the angles of the slopes (which might add to the danger!) and the mechanics to do it properly that you don't loose function and be able to maintain.

2) Imagine this, on the aft seating on the main deck, the center or one of the side seats opens up like a trunk only to reveal a platform that accommodates the chair and hydraulically descends to the garage area, which I think will have to be light on toys to work with this.

3) The first step on the platform stairs from the top can move on a special track and descend like an escalator.

Any design will cost you weight and space for other equipment, and will add to the crew pain of maintaining passenger safety.

This is all I could come up with right now! Keep this running and show us some of your drafts and sketches if you may.

Good luck.

Alf
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Try TNT Lift Systems. They can customize also.

Judy
  5. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

6. M Fitzgerald

M Fitzgerald New Member

Did you ever find a boat? My Father pursued the same dream and lived on a 47' Sunnfjord that was built specifically for living aboard in an electric wheelchair--which he did for the last 8 years of his life in Ketchikan, Alaska. He passed away in February and now this unique vessel is for sale.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2018