Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

What's your favorite boat BBQ?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, May 29, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Thank you, olderboater; You are right that there are effective electrical units, especially the Gaggenau, which I've used. I have not used the Kenyon, but I do respect your endorsement.
    My intention was to provide some basis for comparison for Danvilletim to consider when making a purchase decision.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The Kenyon and Gaggenau are very much the same. Same wattage. A lot of the ability to reach and grill at high temperatures is a result of the grates. It's a lot like using a cast iron frying pan vs. an cheap aluminum one. The grates on a gas grill are just to hold the food and allow the heat to come through. The grates on an electric grill are to provide heat directly to the meat.
  3. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Weber Q series are great and I have seen many other forums say the same .
    Someone even posted a web site were you could get a ton of different mounts for boats

We have tried most of the marine grade stuff out there none works

The Q seems it can handle wind and puts out some good heat Pretty solid little unit had for 6 years on board
    Biggest problem is no one cleans it the grill at end of season and you get the white fuzzy garden growth
  4. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I switched from Weber Q propane to Weber Q electric and couldn't be happier.

It just plain works. No propane, just a cord. Food cooks well and does not burn if you set it properly.

It gets very hot and can flare up flame with fatty meats.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't like propane on a boat. Charcoal is great but that's one more thing to store especially when you re out in the Bahamas for a few weeks.

Electric is the way to go if you have room in an outdoor cabinet. I've use a few over the years and Miele is the best. The gagenau I used a few times on a friend's boat was nice but smaller than the Miele The Miele preheats very quickly

My experience with Kenyon has been awful I installed one about 4 years ago with the electronic touch control which failed within weeks. Kenyon replaced it once under warranty and it failed again. Apparently the Florida sun on the black glass control plus the heat from the grill is too strong for the electronics. They replaced it for a standard knob control. When the element failed a year later I got the Miele. I forgot the wattages but the Miele is higher and it makes a huge difference, it was hard to sear meat with the Kenyon.

The 84 Lazzara we re running now has a Miele which seems original to the boat (2009), it works great
  6. g collis

g collis Member

We only use electric. IMO, there is no place on any boat for a fire. Propane also comes with it's own unique hazards, such as leaks.
  7. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

We have eaten quite a few hot dogs the past month courtesy of the Kenyan electric. Man those things taste good after a long day on the water.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just experienced the Weber Q electric. It gets hot and cooks things evenly. BUT, the propane Weber Q is FAR superior. We did baby back ribs, also did chicken wings and b/s chicken breasts. Everything cooked really evenly and well, BUT nothing gets crispy on the outside......it's sort of halfway between oven and bbq when it comes to the texture of the meat.
  9. rpontual

rpontual Member

I like the Floridian model from Kenyan. The cover is removable, which helps disguising it and it generates minimum smoke.