Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

What would you tell the Owner of this Yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by K1W1, Sep 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd solicit the former Northern Marine group to make up an excuse for me.
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

4. RER

RER Senior Member

...but remember how much money you saved using these guys.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that is the 151 Tacoma, ex Fortunate Sun, ex Elle
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, she is Sea Falcon II today, a Gilgenast design....
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

On second and third look you both are correct! Oops ... Sorry Ocean Pacifico!
  8. olderboater

Wonder if this was a charter. I know it was available for charter.
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Based on the surroundings, I would guess it's a boatyard mishap. Tried to translate the article, but not very successfully.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A mega yacht sinking by the stern in Denia
    A mega yacht moored at the Varadero Port Denia sunk astern. / David Perez
    • The incident did not register no injuries nor contamination by hydrocarbons
    18 September 201513:17
    A mega yacht, which was docked in the Varadero Port Denia sank by the stern yesterday morning to enter water through the back of the structure of the boat. Immediately, the workers brought to narrow the water with four small water pumps, which were not sufficient to carry out these works. For this reason, they alerted firefighters in the Park of Denia what happened.
    Up to place moved six firefighters, including the Chief Sergeant and Chief of the Park, Pepe Melenchón, who with the help of other four pumps were able to remove all the water and refloat the vessel.
    Firefighters were working from 8.30 hours, when they received the notice, until 12 o'clock, once the troops collected all the material used to refloat the vessel.
    Varadero sources commented that there was not any type of oil pollution nor any wounded.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Duh, Somebody screwed up.
    I was away, Watching movies, washing my boat, mowing da lawn, by my self, again,,, I promise....
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

And I was just reading somewhere the other day it has just finished this huge refit to make it a "new" boat. I guess someone forgot the bung rubbers.
  13. olderboater

Well, once I googled "bung rubbers" I was able to laugh at your comment. On the lake we use to see people regularly launch their trailer boats having forgotten to put the drain plug or, as you'd call it, the bung rubber in.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

15. olderboater

They appeared to boast too soon. The new owners intend to use it to circumnavigate and it sinks at the dock. Not a good sign. They said all the steel work had to be replaced? Regardless sounds like it was in very bad shape, a lot worse than a 23 year old boat should be.

Do you know how far it actually sank, what the level of damage might be? With them getting the water out and it floating in such a short time, it didn't seem to me like it ever went all the way under.
  16. Drifty1

Drifty1 New Member

I for one hate to see the Samatha Linn setting stern low in the water like that. She was built to ABS specs so I can not figure out why the shipyard doing the rebuild had to make a big deal about having to replace steel and most wiring. My guess is they had never done any repairs to a ship before as this hull was a very well built vessel. The fuel system, salt water cooling, was all fabricated from IPS carbon steel pipe and the exhaust system was made from 316 SS..
    I guess since she is sitting stern low the experts must of forgot something. I spent a few years of my life bring her to life as I was the pipe fitter Forman on the original construction. Sam Puglia's vessel is very well built and I am hoping to see her in person again someday..
  17. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

If the problem were bung rubber deficiency you would think that they would have pumps on hand big enough to cope with that issue until it could be rectified.

At least they probably know exactly how well the seals on the water tight bulkheads are working now.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Saltwater piping in Steel and Exhaust in 316 Stainless are not well known combinations for longevity in this type of environment.
  19. Drifty1

Drifty1 New Member

A couple of items that were of poor design on the boat were the main engine sea chest's and the main engine exhaust were it changes from SS to carbon steel. On the exhaust were they went thru the hull for the under water exhaust they spec that the pipe be sch 40 CS which should of been fabricated out of sch 80. The sea chest boxes are about 24" square with a plate bolted to the top with the top of the plate about 3" above the full draft waterline. These chests had a screen basket that was removed to be cleaned by unbolting the plate and taking a chance of having water flow over the top into the bilge. Has any info been released about the cause of the incident and have they finished repairs?