Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

What to watch out for after an engine overheat

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SMR-PILOT, Apr 14, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Just had my port engine (cat 3412E) overheat quite badly over the weekend. As soon as the alarm came up I shut off the engine y only turned it on for a few seconds for docking. Took the seawater pump apart, impeller obviously gone. The pump seems to be in bad condition so I´m going to overhaul both of them anyways. I´m more worried about how much the engine could have suffered. While I get the pump fixed, are there any basic signs that I could check out to see how bad the engine suffered? The heat exchanger popped the cap and the refrigerant wnet flying all over. Oil seems OK. And overall, all parts kept their color and didn´t loose paint or anything. I know I need to get the pump fixed first and start up the engine so I can get a real idea, but any tip would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Really?

Get someone who knows what they are doing and what to look at to help you.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Get the impellor pieces out of the coolers or heat exchanger, whatever the first exchanger/cooler is after the raw water pump. Get someone knowledgable such as the dealer to inspect. Start doing preventative maintanence on schedule.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Perhaps that was the cap on the expansion tank?

-Chris
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

As Capt J said, make sure you find the pieces of impeller, likely at the heat exchanger inlet.

Impellers rarely just go poof unless obviously you sucked smothering big enough to block the water intake.

Usually the alarm sounds before damage occurs but the coolant .getting out raises a red flag.

After how much time running did it overheat?

Reason I ask is that a couple of times, I ve had an issue with the raw water pump not priming itself which is unusual for a pump of that type. The first time, the cause was a corrosion hole, about 2mm, in the fuel cooler outer casing which in these engines is before the raw water pump.

Another time it was because of sea grass and debris having passed thru the strainer over the years and restricting flow at the fuel cooler inlet.

Another thing, is that usually when your impeller gets worn, or have any restriction in the flow, you will first notice a increase in transmission temperature, way before the engine coolant starts going up.

Finally, you may need to check the big exhaust rubber hose between the engine exhaust and the fiberglass exhaust tubes. If you lost raw water flow, chances are the hoses may have been damaged by the hot exhaust gases
  6. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

As Pascal, said, not only check the hose, but if you have FRP after the hose, that should be inspected also.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I posted that because if the OP thinks he lost refrigerant he either lost the plot on what his engine did and or doesn't know **** from shoe polish so shouldn't be touching any propulsion engine
  8. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Yep, that`s what I meant.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

No worries then