Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Perko

What to look for when purchasing 46 post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by John Pugliese, Oct 14, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Pugliese

John Pugliese New Member

Hi my name is john I am new to the forum and looking to buy my first Post yacht. When purchasing a late 80s 46 post what are some general things to look for i.e. any rotting problems, common leaking areas such as windows and hatches etc. etc.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All of the above, plus structural integrity and very complete mechanical survey. Many if not most of these spent a good amount of time in the charter fishing industry, rode hard and put away wet (lots of use and abuse). I'm also not sure about parts availability these days.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I have a late 80's 46 Post with 671 TIBs

I am extremely happy with the overall fit and construction of the Post.

I have no significant issues with the boat beyond routine maintenance.

The salon windows don't even leak!
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, look at all of those as well as front deck,cockpit, and FB for soft spots. Check condition of fuel tanks, and get a good survey.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I agree with NYCAP that SOME of those 80's boats were fished hard, but you'll notice them right off (IMOP a testament to their durability). Sometimes those boats are steeply discounted and a good buy with the knowledge that you will have to refit. Get an honest hour reading on the engines

Post is a strong boat with a good fit and finish, and quality fittings. Like any boat they will show some problems. Unlike some other manufactures though, I have not heard of major complaints (broken keels, warped transoms, spongy or bouncy fore decks). You, of course, need to look at every exterior reversed angle and horizontal drain for leaks, eg side windows ,cockpit cabinets and entry door. But if you look at the overall construction - laminated bulk heads, sufficient lubbers, good ventilation, solid engine mounting, cockpit drains, back plates, over rated wiring, to name a few- you will see the quality of the boat. Definitely get a surveyor for the particular boat you are looking at, preferably one that knows Posts.

Parts are tough. Most were supplier delivered to Post, but there isn't anyone at the new Post that can help you find those supplies that I know of.

GOOD LUCK and show us what you buy
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Agree w Beau 100%
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you can swing it, a jump up to a newer 50' Post is a much better boat in all aspects.
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

One of those suppliers is Buck Algonquin for deck fittings and stuff. They are still in business. They do not still manufacture all the fittings that they used to though.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Agreed. particularly the cockpit. I believe that 1989 was its debut. Had the same hull throughout until 2007 when manufacturing was halted.
  10. leeky

leeky Senior Member

What are lubbers?
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

leeky

I hope I spelled the word correctly. But they are a series of thru bulkhead passageways, often drill holes, that allow all the water in the bilge to drain to the pump. Without a thoughtful system, the boat will develop pockets of trapped water that will eventually deteriorate the cross members and stringers

Oh-oh. I just looked up the definition. Websters says its a hole thru a mast platform for a sailor to go thru to gain access to the platform or go further up the mast.

Maybe someone can give us both the correct terminology for what I described - because a sailer sure couldn't get thru the holes I have in mind
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  12. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Limber holes ?
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Exactly. THANK YOU Chesapeake
  14. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation, Beau, and thanks for the terminology, chesapeake46.
  15. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

John: The most serious shortcoming of a 1980's Post is that the vast majority of them are equipped with Capitol marine gears, a brand out of production since 1990, with little aftermarket support, particularly knowledgeable service facilities and personnel. Although the Capitol marine gear was a well functioning gear,
    when it becomes a problem, and they all eventually become a problem, you may have to refit the boat with a Twin Disc or ZF gear as a practical matter.

Some Posts, a few prior to 1990, were fitted with Allison gears, but to my knowledge only those boats equipped with the 6V-92 Detroit or larger engines, or with a Twin Disc marine gear. Although Allison Marine Gears are not produced any longer, the aftermarket parts and qualified support facilities and service personnel are readily available, and will be for many years to come as the Allison gears were and still are a very widely utilized marine gear in the commercial and private marine markets.

In summary, I would steer clear of a Post with Capitol gears, even if the gears are currently operating well, unless you can get a LARGE allowance for future repairs or replacements.
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I would agree that Capitol gears are not the most desirable gears, and not my first choice in gears.
    I would not reuse them if I were pulling the engines or doing a repower.

Given the choice between two identical boats, one with Capitols and one with TD of ZF gears, I would choose the TD of ZF.

But I would also not steer clear of a Post with properly functioning and well cared for Capitol Gears.

There are lots of Posts running around with the Capitol gears.

I have Capitol gears in my late 80s 46 Post.

I had one of the gears rebuilt a few years ago. Yes it was expensive, but nothing is cheap. I was able to find parts.
    Finding parts for the Capitol gear was about as difficult as finding parts for a JnT 671 TIB.