Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking

What is the fastest speedboat you can buy?

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by theyachtman, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I have heard that Goldigger is lagging badly in the speed equation. Only 150mph with 3400hp, not the result OL was hoping for. Have you any recent speed figures? I heard it was going to Lake X for dialin.
  2. dbart9

dbart9 Member

here's a few others. I believe the Hallett 54 is around the +500K range, the Formulas 38' Fastech is in the 200-300K range and a very well made boat. Made many trips to Catalina Island (off California Coast) in 4'-6' surf around 50-60 mph and very smooth. I will say that 500+ miles in a boat smaller than a yacht would be quite a workout to your insides. But that's my .02 cents worth and that's not even worth .02 cents!

http://www.hallettboats.com/540-t.html

http://www.formulaboats.com/fastech/1099143.aspx

https://www.*******************/index.cfm?

and for the ski boat,

http://www.malibuboats.com/

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Front
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

As to the question what is the fastest powerboat in the world, it is Ken Warby's 5000hp turbine 28' hydro which set the water speed record of 317.6mph at Blowering Dam Australia in 1978.

For an offshore boat it would be the 50' Callan Mystique with 2X3000hp Lycoming T55 turbines for an estimated speed of 230mph. This boat ran 208mph at the Lake Of The Ozarks One Mile Shootout in Missouri USA last year.
  4. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Catmando,

My mistake the Nortech I was refering to, is a 50ft with Triple 330hp Yanmar Diesels.

Attached Files:

5. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I like the paint, whose boat is that and where was the pic taken? Talon if I remember correctly, Yanmar's 300hp+ motors come in 300, 315, 370, 440 and 485hp models. I remember Nor-tech building a triple 315 5000V boat but it barely broke 60mph. I think the quad 485s would bring the speed up close to 90, a much better result IMO.
  6. Talon

Talon Senior Member

The 50' with Triple 330's would cruise at 60 all day.
    I was looking at importing 1 into the UK for use as a offshore cruiser.
    Good economy, speed and comfortable.
    Whereas the 50 NOR-TECH VEE with Triple Nortech / 850 SCEFI's would happily cruise at 75mph with a top end of 100mph.

:) I cannot remember where that other photo was from, but that had thr 3-330's.

Check out http://www.fastboats.com/?page=boatdetail&boatid=540
    :rolleyes:
  7. Talon

Talon Senior Member

The picture is of 'Cast Off' and is for sale.
  8. catmando

catmando Senior Member

It's ORANGE lol. As I have said elsewhere on this site, Nor-tech doesn't build the fastest boats, but they are strong, solid and very good-looking. Having said that, I do believe they offer vacuum-bagging and Kevlar/Carbon Fiber construction now.
  9. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Orange:D :D
    Who WOULDN'T see you coming in that:eek:

Nor-Tech may not be the fastest, but are comfortable.
    If you want fast then can also try a nice Velocity, with Turbines.

Attached Files:

10. catmando

catmando Senior Member

I don't recall hearing about a turbine-powered Velocity. Is this one? Is it a recent build? I met Steve Stepp, his wife and daughter at the 2003 Miami boat show.
  11. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Who would be the first??

I'm sure that Turbine Marine would oblige in prep and installing a pair of 1850hp Extreme Edition Turbines.
  12. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Too much power for a 41' V bottom.
  13. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Correct, I wasn't serious!!:p

A pair of 1850's would push the aft bulkhead into the cockpit and giveway too much bow lift.:eek:

Stick on a pair of wings and no problem.
  14. animalhouse

animalhouse New Member

Catmando,

Goldigger is not lacking in any sppen equation. They had a blower belt issue that has been corrected. The speeds are not going to be published until after she runs in Jacksonville, but I can assure you that she has climbed well over the 150 mph mark, Im fact she hasn't been opened up yet due to the Blower belt issue, but I can say that she will cruise at 150 mph without even breaking a sweat.

Yachtman,

Talk to Mike Fiore if this is something you are interested in. He will build you a boat that will suit your needs. The Cat is a Michael Peters designed bottom, and the lay-up is completely constructed out of Carbon Fiber and Post Cured Epoxy. The tooling is all CNC tooled, and I can assure you the quality will rival any of their competitors. 150 mph is fast, I think you would be surprised how fast a 100 mph is, and with some common sence, it is extremely safe, comfortable, and reliable. I would reccomend a 51 OL or a 46 OL. Both V bottoms. A 46 w/ tripple 662 Euro Spec Mercs would be a very trick set-up, and will meet all of Europes emmision requirements.

Check out Mike in Spain, he is racing the UIM P1 powerboat circuit with his new 40 SV race boat. They will be in Germany this coming week, but scheduled to be in Spain shortly.

www.outerlimitspowerboats.com

Fred
  15. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.