Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck

What Hull Colour for Vintage 1960 Feadship

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Mar 20, 2010.

?

what colour hull for 62ft 1960 Feadship Alto volante

1. white

40.9%
  2. off-white

27.3%
  3. duck-egg blue

11.4%
  4. some other colour

20.5%
  1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

Black hull with red stripe and something else above the deck say a blue or red?
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Post #6 top photo... subtle, ...best of the bunch IMHO.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Have a look at the color that Fleming uses for their hulls. It's a very light shade of almond if you will. It is a nice contrast to the stark white. I've seen a few Offshore's with it as well. You might consider that.

Looks while from 100 yards, but but a little softer on the eyes than the bone white traditionally used. Also doesn't show the week long dust and grime as
    white usually does.

As much as I'm a fan of Flag Blue, it just doesn't fit that boat IMO.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ah, Propbet

While we've got you online, quick question for you.

Where the heck do I get Flemming cream gelcoat from? The maker and the dealer are of no use. Any ideas?

Fish
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I wouldn't have the foggiest. I can check with our Engineer on what route he would go to find it, have it made, or otherwise (paint). I highly doubt that anyone under Tony Fleming himself will give you the magic color codes for it or have a batch of gel made up..... unless of course it was going on one of his boats!

My guess would be a good paint shop / yard should be able to color match it in a few test quarts.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Just spoke to the owner, he's contacted the European importer (who skippers for Tony when he's over here) and he has no idea also. Colour matching for a production boat shouldn't be this hard.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you would like her to have an original Feadship look, I think the hardtop frames should be varnished and the hull painted in Matterhorn White.

Attached Files:

8. gonnabe

gonnabe New Member

Wish this thread was going a month ago! I am currently painting a mid 70's Dyer 29 and the owner wanted a "classic" look. He went with Awlgrip "off-White Revisited" for hull and cabin sides, Topcap , decks and non-skid are "Sandstone Tan".
    It does have a classic, timeless appeal.
  9. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I agree, this much the best.
    Maldwin
  10. 84far

84far Senior Member

Lars does have a good point with the wheel house, but it may come down to more work. As for the hull, a white with the blue waterline and red antifoul... keep it original. Just a thought. Cheers

Far
  11. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I had considered finishing the PH sides in bright to match the saloon sides (it is in fcat cheaper and easier to do) but I thought it made her look a little staid...the boat originally had an open helm and I thought having an all white PH would echo the original design and give her a bit more 196's "dolce vita" b-zazz...a couple of weeks back, I put up a poll on yacht forums to see what people thought and the vast majority (26 to 13) voted for the white curvey PH rather than flat sided bright finish .
  12. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

White keeps it clean and classy.
  13. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

are you suggesting the PH only or hull as well...?
  14. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

The words given to me from our guy was: "It will be easier to color match paint than it would be get the color code or gel from Tony. A good paint yard can color match it in two tries."
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would say paint it in a bright white, I worked on a 97' steel MY with a canoe stern and it looked nice in bright white and it really accentuated the s.s./varnish/ and bronze on the vessel. With a navy blue boot stripe....I'd ditch the red smaller stripe and go with just blue or a small gold stripe

If you were to paint it other then a bright white, I would say Hatteras white would be my choice. I do really like fighting lady yellow, with teal bottom paint.....but don't think it's the right boat for it.
  16. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I agree. White hull is timeless/classic and the bright wheel house is excellent.
  17. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

There are really only 4 colours to paint a traditional yacht, White, Black, Blue or Green. Personally I am not a fan of the funny shades of White, Black is difficult to keep looking good as is Dark Blue and Dark Green. I think one of the darker colours would look stunning but white is practical.
  18. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

+1 to F.L.Y.
  19. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

vintage 61ft Feadship hull colour

Dark colours such as Black, green and dark blue really dont suit this boat ..she meant to be a sexy 1960's Mediterranean "Dolce Vita" yacht, not a Commodore's launch. I am so tempted to go for a duck-egg blue but the risk of it not looking quite right is too great. You cant go wrong with white so, boring as it is, we're going to use one of the Awlgrips "soft" whites - cant remember which, though . And by the way the new PH is also in same colour.
    best
    david

Attached Files:

20. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

I agree. Also in my opinion the other shades of white make classics look more worn and tired. Shows their age, I guess and not in a good way.