Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort

What defines an Expedition Yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Mar 18, 2013.

1. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Mrs Mueller Sold it .. when ?
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We did a similar trip back in the late '80s. No special gadgets or doo-hickies, just a simple, honest yacht that was well thought out and built right. Looked like new after 4 years and 58,000 miles, charter fresh.
  3. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Google "Yacht Andiamo Sold" and you will find several sites that mention the sale were posted around March 15th, 2013.
  4. 84far

84far Senior Member

Would love to have a converted one of these!

Far

Attached Files:

5. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

That is an amazing looking vessel. I am totally unfamiliar with it, but I get the feeling that it is more built for performance than endurance.

Edit: 3000NM at 12 knots, not too shabby for a vessel with a 25 knot top speed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armidale-class_patrol_boat
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

Yeah, they're a pretty awesome boat... you should see the size of the trim tabs :eek:! Make a smaller version of this and Dashew would have some stiff competition! Cheers

Far
  7. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Here is one in action, sorry the video pq is so shabby but you get the idea!

Armidale Class Patrol Boat - YouTube

Haul a** Wardell!
  8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Looking thru a few of those videos, she does appear to have a very balanced hull,....no excessive pitching or diving.
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

This is why I think you don't need a big heavy displacement cruiser that pitches and rolls... So if you want to cruise at low speeds for good mileage, you can. Want to cruise at 20+knots, you can :D.

Far
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Really, we are down to a Patrol Vessel design for a base Expedition Yacht concept? I have been on two versions of the Damen Stan Patrol 4207, and yes, it too will also pitch and roll. Look at the headings they are running in the video, they are running through almost parallel seas and cutting into them at optimum angles, makes for great video, but change the heading orientation and the throttles will come back as well. You still have a 12 knot transit speed, so paying big bucks for all that reserve power you will use 10% of the time doesn't seem like a great fit for an Expedition Yacht.
  11. Ward

Ward Senior Member

12. 84far

84far Senior Member

Yes, really, I would prefer these type of vessel (hull configuration). Also a smaller version of the Seaaxe. I'd like to see one of those heavy displacement vessel working the same angle as the Armidale is in the video... it would be rolling like mad. I'm no expert on fluid dynamics, but the stabilisers would be working better at the higher speeds, thus looking great in the water.

Ward, I'm pretty sure the boats are fine, the problem is maintenance and lack of - a lot of these vessels are not hualed out as much as they should be... as I know this for a fact - I could have been on one last week ;). Cheers

Far
  13. brian eiland

Out There Doing It, Escape Expeditions

Lets see if this link works?

Escape Expeditions

...a gentleman who is down in Chili having a custom 47 sailing cat built with an unusual sailing rig (MastFoil). This blog tracks some of his early sea trials, and a little exploring nearby the construction yard

Towards the end of one page, he comments, "And as I was making it, I could look out the galley window to the view just below the breakfast plate. Now that's how God intended man to spend his days I thought to myself."
  14. brian eiland

Breaking Free

A couple of weeks ago I got my June issue of ShowBoats. This 'editor's letter' caught my attention.

Editorial, Breaking Free, ps.jpg

BTW, I emailed her to get her permission to post it in this discussion
    Brian
  15. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

I have come to the conclusion, for me at least, the definition of an Expedition Yacht has sails... no matter whatever else it has or is!
  16. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Showboats probably has more exposure now through YF than they have from their own subscribership. ;)
  17. brian eiland

Expedition Yachts, BIG and small

There is certainly a variety of sizes and shapes in this subject thread. In point of contrast, I need to bring up these two images:
    Lone Ranger, BIG.jpg

Pilgrim-trawler, 40'.jpg

I got a chuckle :D when I thought about this big contrast...ha...ha

This smaller vessel is only 40', and it is one that I had admired for some time without actually knowing what it was:
    (What is this vessel?) http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-trawler-discussion/19252-trawler-houseboat.html

I now realize why it appealed to me:
    1) It has an older 'classic look' to it
    2) It could be said it resembles these two 'canal boats' in form and function
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/15873-inland-waterway-cruising;-boats-barges-etc.html
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/125312-post30.html

The Pilgrim 40 was in fact designed as 'an ideal boat to use on the Canal and Inter-coastal waterways for nothing more than going slow and sight seeing vessel for two, with occasional guest.'
    This little vessel is probably at the lower size range to provide a nice exploration yacht for a married couple, and concurrently proved a live-aboard potential. She is fully capable of exploring the eastern half of the USA from the Great Lakes/Canadian waterways always down to the Fla keys, and spanning from the Mississippi to the Intercoastal Waterway of the East coast....what is often referred to as the Great Loop.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/20433-great-circle-loop-voyage.html
    She could also be taken out to the Bahamas & down to Cuba with suitable precautions. That's quite a bit of territory to explore aboard this vessel !!

I've been thinking about one of these vessels myself....for my Thai wife and myself to live on the part time we spend in the USA....and to go exploring the east coast with. Turns out they only built about 41 of these vessels between 1983-89, and it now appears as though some of the molds either no longer exist or may be unusable to produce more copies. Some of the minor changes I would have in mind for this design might weel make a steel hull a consideration for this vessel design,...a relatively cheap, strong hull material that's quickly fashioned and built with modern computer cut technologies these days. Then glue on decks and superstructure fashioned from computer cut panels of pre-frabricated plastic honeycomb sandwich materials. These prefab panels are widely utilized by the kit boat builders in Australia & NZ. Building times are faster, less messy, and more uniform. Plus your sound and temperature 'insulation' of te cabin areas is already incorporated. If you utolize the 'Nidacore' type honeycomb you will never have to worry about any rot in the core structures of the decks or the cabin superstructures.

As part of the Pilgrim design philosophy they tried to capture a balance of comfort, efficiency, simplicity, elegance, and economy. Keeping these goals and the KISS principle in mind I think you could build and maintain, and operate one of these vessels for a very reasonable price.
    ...Anyone else interested in such a project??
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I know Brian, you want me to come out of my corner in the boxing ring and re enter the "fight". Also my decisions are made, concerning size, type of boat and yard, I will continue to participate in the discussion.

My opinion on your big example has been published in ephic broadness. A used up salvage tug IMHO, is the most ridiculous type of ship to be converted into a yacht, end of statement.

Your small example is a beautiful vintage boat for the (extended ?) cruise of max. two people (couple) in protected waters and only in protected waters. I would not like to take her into heavy seas, not even on the Great Lakes, which can be very rough, from what I have red.

The smallest size, I would go, is either the Horizon EP 77, but with an additional able crew of two, because of its size.

Or for just my wife and me, the Nordhavn 47/52. The Nordhavn 47/52 is the smallest boat, IMO, that is capable of savely cruising the seven seas. And not to big for an owner couple long range cruising.

Any smaller is only possible in a sailboat, maybe down to 34 feet. Something like a Hallberg-Rassy 342. But I am to old for that level of comfort :D.

Below, personal obtained pictures from the Düsseldorf Boat Show 2008. Both boats are still in production today.

Attached Files:

19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted before but someone has made a decision that this is the way forward.

Contract for expedition support vessel

Lone Ranger was a good horse for the family that took it around the world, it did all they wanted it to and they had a few years of enjoyment out of it.
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I do not call that in question at all. Longe Ranger has for sure done its job after the conversion. I am just saying, it would be the absolute last platform, I would choose for a yacht conversion.

It is like this two gorgeous airplanes. I have flown in both of them, flights I will never forget. Both are milestones in aviation and great performers, but absolutely useless in private hands.

The first one for obvious reasons, the second one for its dangerous flying characteristics and low amount of fuel.

First one called the BUFF (big ugly flying fellow) a B-52, second one a BD-5 Jet (The 007 plane). The second last version of it just had a fatal crash near Innsbruck, Austria a few weeks ago (Red Bull demo plane).

Attached Files: