Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

What boat was the star of the movie Overboard?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Surf Cruise, Feb 20, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Did yourself or any on the Helo crew manage to take pics of the boat ...
  2. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

Yacht in overboard and indecent proposal - the huntress

I believe the yacht was called The Huntress at one time in the late 90's. I was on board it for a few months although the interior shots were not the same yacht as in the movie, as well as the movie Indecent Proposal. It was a Fead Ship. I also heard that it did burn in the Med. Not sure if it still exists but could have been retrofitted and renamed.

I was in the engine room they showed in the Movie Overboard as well as the galley. The engine room was exactly the same but the galley had been retrofitted with green marble countertops. I attached the pic of the ship I knew as The Huntress. It was owned by a greek billionaire - who was called "Mr. A" affectionaly by his crew. I dated the English Engineer, Joe O'Donnell for a bit. I had the good fortune of spending a weekend on board as a guest in La Paz in April 1997. At the time, it had tons of green marble as countertops in the galley and the luxirious bathrooms/staterooms. We had a wall of bubbles from the jacuzzi because the engineer accidentally used dish soap so the wall OF BUBBLES was about 20 feet high! It had it's own whaler and it had at least two jet skis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

Dr. Detroit - did you happen to catch any photos of this ship during your SOS call?
  4. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

It turns out that I was incorrect and the Huntress was not the yacht used in the movie Overboard. but she was a beautiful ship nonetheless.
  5. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    I was just wondering the same thing myself. A fun little film. It looks like they shot the interiors onboard the yacht itself rather than build a stage. It was probably done to cut down production costs.

It's funny though, I wonder if there was more than one boat used in that film, because she does seem to have different lines in a couple of scenes.

I'll check IMDBpro.

Also, here's a link to a photo of her;

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?197509-USS-Saipan-yacht-rescue-1988-pic-request
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. Captare

Captare New Member

Yecats

Hello, I just returned from Silverwood Theme park in Northern Idaho. While there I was overcome with what would posses a person to put a theme park up in the middle of the northwest? At the end of our trip before closing I saw and purchased the book I finished today. American theme park: the creation of Silverwood By: Gary Norton
    Apparently Mr. Norton founded ISC in Spokane WA, in the early 70's (they made teller terminals for savings and loans.) After his IPO he had "Yecats" built by Kong and Halverson. "Yecats" is "Stacey" for his wife it the time. They would build the ship if he put everything in it motors etc. The story of the helipad and the rest is a very interesting read, however only if you are into these sorts of things.
    The movie overboard: Yecats was sold to fund something else in his life, the movie was filmed on transport after the sale from WA, to CA. The new owner was going to completely redo the interior, So the film crew was free to do as they pleased.
    Hope this helps, I navigated here hoping to find some pic's of the boat from the book. I can scan some images from it if any are interested. -Cap Swafford
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Thanks for info. Please scan the pictures when you get a chance.
  8. Captare

Captare New Member

American Theme Park

Here are the pictures from the book. I might add this place is wonderful the Norton's have created a wonderful park. Pic. #3 is him with George Harrison from the Beatles.

Attached Files:

9. nwfl2012

nwfl2012 New Member

If the Attessa was renamed Huntress than I can tell you exactly what happened to her. In late spring of 1994 I was deployed to the Med. with a carrier out of Mayport when we received a distress call stating a yacht was on fire. We sent a rapid response team to rescue the remaining crew and passengers; by the time our team got there it was already out of control and, unfortunatetly, sank with a bunch of our damage control equipment. I still have the article somewhere.

The irony and interlinked coincidence of this was my ship was the USS Saratoga, the same one Capt. Ron (Kurt Russell) helmed.
  10. tedship

tedship New Member

The boat shown above is the 2nd Attessa, She was built by Feadship and named Impromptu prior to refit
  11. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

That kind of looks like her. Good looking old girl.
  12. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

He's wrong. Either didn't know or trying to tell a good story. Alliance is a 126' Delta Marine built in 1989- two years after Overboard was released. Nice boat but not in the movie.
  13. Captare

Captare New Member

Yecats, Gary Norton.

I guess the best person to ask would be the purchaser. He own/runs Silverwood Theme Park in Northern Idaho. From what I read in the book, (lots of cool, boat, heli., plane, stories) If you where 20-40 in the 70'80's man they had some cool stuff back then. (less laws as well) He sold the boat and moved on, nothing else said other then what they did on reroute down to (sandiego)?? I looked for more about Yecats, and it brought me here. ;) At least I've been able to help clear up part of the mystery. -Cap
  14. Captare

Captare New Member

This is the original vessel with the agreed modifications between Gary Norton and Kong & Halvorsen. He picked it up from them, but again (one of the greatest regrets he has is not sailing it back to the states) in the book. He had other issues to deal with and missed out on the trip.
  15. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

Hi, I think your timing is off a bit - the Huntress burned in the Med in 1998. Here is the article - you can google it. "Navy273.Jpg Ionian Sea, Western Mediterranean (July 28Th, 1998) - - The 144 Foot Yacht 'Huntress' Lost To Fire During An Early Morning Fire In The Engine Room. All Seven Crewmembers Were Rescued By Sailors And Marines Assigned To The Amphibious Assault Ship USS Saipan (Lha 2), Shortly After Abandoning Ship In The Ionian Sea. The American, British And Australian Crew Were Brought Aboard Saipan For Medical Evaluation. No One Was Seriously Injured. Huntress Was En Route To Italy When The Ship's Engine Room Became Engulfed In Flames. The USS Saipan On A Regularly Scheduled Deployment In The Mediterranean Sea Responded To Their Distress Call. U.S. Navy (Photo By U.S. Navy/Getty Images)"
  16. mackwoman2000

mackwoman2000 New Member

Correction to my previous posts

http://www.***************.com/yachts/details/5139/
    that's "super yachts - no space " blocked with the *************
    I am unable to delete incorrect pics of the Huntress that was retro-fitted in
    San Diego South Bay in 1997-1998. After a trip to Mexico, then to Alaska, the boat went over to The Med, where it burned in 1998.
  17. grantza

grantza New Member

Apologies for the thread resurrection

Here are some pics of Attessa.
    At the time these pics were taken (about 2003 or so),his new yacht Attessa IV was undergoing a complete refit

Starboard Quarter 1.jpg Port Quarter 2.jpg Main Cabin Bed 2.jpg Main Salon 1.jpg Hallway to Main Cabin.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  18. grantza

grantza New Member

More pics:
    Helicopter Landing 6.jpg at 7.jpg at 5.jpg at 6.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  19. Craig Cook

Craig Cook New Member

20. Craig Cook

Craig Cook New Member

I found some old photos of Ye Cats. This was the Boat in the movie "Overboard"
    Does anyone know of the past crew (Jill,Roy, Noah and Madi) would love to get back in contact with them.
    Sorry about the resolution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020