Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Westport change in offerings

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by olderboater, Feb 10, 2015.

1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Westport had somewhat announced their 125' yacht. What they hadn't announced was the elimination of smaller yachts. However, to their site now and you see 112', 125', 130', 164'. No sign of the 85' Pacific Mariner or the 98' Westport. Keep emphasizing larger and larger. In the case of the 98, I don't know when they made their last sale, but I don't think anytime recently, so not a real significant change. Now, after the 125', what might they add?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Possibly a 115' to renew and replace the aged 112'. Something to bridge the gap between 130' and 164'. Or something even bigger such as 180' or so..... Maybe a large expedition style yacht?
  3. olderboater

Something in the 148' range was often discussed. Christensen was playing with a 190' fiberglass at one time. Wouldn't be the first time Westport built the largest if they did something in that range. Nor for us, but the 164 is an absolutely incredible yacht. Expedition would be a huge change for them. They have the range already on the 164', but being limited to slow speed isn't Westport's thing.
  4. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Ditto on that. I think their niche is based on sleek and speed.

Is the market really slow in the 80-100' range that they dropped the 98 then the whole mariner line? Is the son not happy with his boat line? The news is striking to me.

I guess in a couple of years they might go to something in the 180-190' range, it is hard to pull off while maintaining the overall theme of Westport.
  5. olderboater

The 98 wasn't selling at all. The 85 was but then of course the 65 was when they dropped it. I'll take the 65 and 85, add in the Bayliner 4788, 5288, 5788, maybe a 4288 then have a line. Obviously some updates. But Pacific Mariner's sales are well over 200.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I guess you only expect to sell your line of boats at a Boat show where you can only see the stern??? The 85' looks pretty good....but the rest......welllllll....ummm
  7. olderboater

I said updated. But same principles of good boats but on the Bayliner types not all the teak and wood, none of the extra cost frills. An affordable boat.
  8. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Bless your heart Captain J, you made me laugh hard. I'm not a fan of Bayliner, stem to stern. The 85 is a nice boat and the space is competitive, sad to see it fade away.

Cheers.
  9. olderboater

The 65 was also nice and space more than competitive just dated and not very attractive.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Only a handful of 98's were built, but to the best of my knowledge, none in the past 10-12 years? Westport recently pulled banners on PacMar. The molds are being idled. Can't say if it's permanent, but like earlier mentioned, may have been getting long in the tooth. Still, they're a great boat, but lots of updated competition in the 65 to 100 range; the segment hardest hit.
  11. olderboater

Like so many builders moving up, up, and up. Why build 65' when you can sell 130' seems to be a popular thought. Now as to the 65' it was terribly successful but due for an upgrade as was the 85 years ago. That's when the mold of the 85 caught fire, so they built the new mold upgrading the 85. Meanwhile, while waiting for it, they built lots of 65's, but never got around to upgrading it. Then with the new 85 and the very dated 65, they idled the 65.

This now makes the 112 the oldest remaining design and the only remaining Jack Sarin designed hull.
  12. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

This is one of the moments where I wonder what their conversion rate was.
    As in sales of larger yachts to owners of the same brand or even group of brands, by size bracket.

Then go back and look at sales figures of the smaller yachts. Is there a trend, and are they cutting off significant parts of their customer supply?
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well a lot of builders keep an entry size/level boat that they don't make a profit on and figure that is what gets new owners into the brand and they then love the boat and decide to move up to a larger yacht with the same builder that they do make a good profit on.
  14. olderboater

The boat that is converted into larger is the 112'. A very large percentage of purchasers of it do move up to the 130' and with the addition of the 125' to the line, then that might become even more moving up. The 98' wasn't a factor. As to the 85', the distance between it and the next model was too great to get many conversions. Now, previously Pacific Mariner had a lot of 65' customers move up to the 85'.

So as much as I hate seeing the 85' gone, I can't say that will have any impact on the larger boats. In fact, most purchasers of the larger boats weren't even aware of the 85'. It was never fully integrated as a Westport but always a bit separate as a Pacific Mariner.
  15. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I am sure the Chouest ownership will put their money into what makes best financial sense, they are a very smart group and will build on their many successes in multiple maritime businesses.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They've also been known to buy yards just to build a size the yard doesn't normally build, just because they want one for themselves.
  17. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Moving up from a 80' Monterey ex-Renegade/Patriot to a 90' ACY does not seem that out of the norm, and you can bet that no one wanted to build her as bad as Dom did, as he built both of them.
  18. olderboater

Well the best thing about Chouest ownership is they are boaters. Gary owned a Westport already. Plus they have money. When you think of all the people who could have purchased Westport, then you're very happy they did. Let's see, all the most recent purchases of large boat manufacturers-we have venture capitalists, Chinese machinery manufacturers, Chinese hospitality groups. Ownership with adequate capital and a passion for boats is hard to come by. I think Rec Boat Holdings was so lucky that Beneteau purchased them. Hatteras and Cabo purchased by Versa. Cabo dead. And honestly for all they've done wrong and deserve criticism for, Brunswick has done pretty well compared to let's say, Genmar....
  19. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

One thing to remember that owners that bring their boats to the Great Lakes every year want to keep them under 35 M. (115')
    I had two calls from last year from yacht owners who were thinking about getting a new boat.
    We get a few 112' Westports every year.
    If yacht is 35 M or greater you must take a pilots through the St. Lawrence River and Montreal section of Seaway and Welland Canal.
    The approx. cost one way is $ 20,000.00 for a US flagged yacht.
    The approx. cost one way is $ 30,000.00 for a Foreign flagged yacht.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well the reason they bought ACY was because there was a 2.5 year wait and they wanted one for themselves sooner. LOLOL