Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

water softener/filter

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by denzil, May 15, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. denzil

denzil New Member

I'm berthed in a place where the water hardness is terrible. Not only is it not good for the tanks and systems but i can't put any water on the boat whatsoever without thouroughly drying immediately as the residue is terrible.
    I'm looking at getting a softener/filter system to put on the quay and would welcome any comments if anyone has similar.
    Decent make? Approx cost? Improvement noticed? Hose pressure reduction?
    Any pitfalls?
    All comments appreciated before i go and spend the owners cash :D

Thanks
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

A water softner has to be sized for flow (gph)and capacity(grains of hardness). It would be a good idea to take a water sample to get checked for grains of hardness, this is a simple test, sort of like testing pool water for ph or clorine.If this is your home berth you may want to have the water tested for other minerals also like iron which a softner does not remove,and requires additional filters.

There should be only a slight presure drop,a couple psi not usually noticable but units do have a minium input operating pressure, be sure you meet that.