Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Water heater 46 Post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by RT46, Sep 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I just ripped out my OEM water heater in my late 80's 46 Post.

It actually came out pretty easy.

I removed the aluminum support near the generator and the dual Racors.

The old tank was 18 inches around and came out no problem.

The OEM one was 19 gallons and was plenty of hot water.
    (actually too much hot water, when on the hook the crew will take long showers and deplete the domestic water pretty fast)

I am replacing it with an instant hot water heater with 4 gallon holding tank.
    If that doesn't work, I will rip that out and go back to a conventional 19 gallon tank.
    Im not convinced it will work well with my set up.

The removal of the tank did free up a lot of space in the Engine Room.

RT 46
  2. ruby

ruby Member

Lou, I replaced mine with a 20 gallon last summer
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Reports in north Florida are the instant on water heaters seem to be working well when at the dock. Some older gen-sets really like them, Some do not.
    I am real eager to hear lots more details on how your new system works.
    Please keep us (me please) up with any details including your gen-set specs and how it works off the dock.

I tried point of service mini heaters 10 years ago and that was poor decisions. Bad technology cycle.
    Currently 240vac, 30 gal, dual element. Never ending hot water at the dock or on 30KW gen-set, but our lil gen-set just does not like that water heater. Dual 1800 watt elements really tax a 8KW set up. I just remember to kill the water heater breaker when I light up lil genny.

I think the newer instant / demand water heaters are around 2000 watt now? 4 gal bottle after it may be an interesting idea also.

Cheers our friend,
  4. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Good luck on the installation. I too would like to learn more about the 4 gallon addon tank. How's it plumbed and how does it work?
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Its pretty simple and straight forward.

it is only 1400 watts, so my 8KW should handle it, but not sure it will like it cycling on and off.

The OEM one came out so easy, I am considering replacing it with the same thing and installing the insta hot on land.

Tomorrow is decision day, If I can find a 20 gallon one locally I will reinstall what came out.
    If I cant find one, then he insta hot goes in at least for a trial.

At least it is a good opportunity to get out the shop vac and clean up the ER and touch up some ER paint.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I chickened out and went with a replacement 20 gallon water heater.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Good choice, IMO. We have not had good results with instant heaters. Even the supposedly good ones we've use seem to last only 6-8 years
  8. Eroc

Eroc Member

i would think that an electric on demand heater would draw a lot of amps, the 20 gallon would be my choice as well