Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights

Volvo penta tmd72 ecu

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phil benham, Jul 7, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

I own a princess 440 1996 , fitted with twin Volvo tmd72 ecu. On leaving the pontoon birth I lost all control on starboard engine . I shutdown and restated both engines all ok . Continued on short trip aprox 7 miles . On return whilst reversing into birth the starboard engine /drive wouid not disengage . I shut engine down and manage to moor up on birth . I checked diagnostic it displayed error. 6.4 . I contacted my local Volvo engerneer who visited boat he plugged his kit in and found no fault , he checked helm control port side no problem, then starboard control there a slight delay on disengaging drive ( 2/3 sec ) longer than port side , he went to flybridge carried out exactly same test and same result . He decided to take out for sea trail we took off Spring line and whilst the bow line was being removed the port engine engage and ramped up to full powe lurch boat forward then immediately went into reverse full power pushing into dock . We managed to shut engine down via key . The only link we can associate with this was switching on bow thruster to check operation prior to moving off . After recovering from shock he plugged in diagnostic equipment to starboard and found nothing , plug into port and all info wiped clean ? I'm scratching my head a bit ? Volvo are looking into this and said its in possable to happen but it did !. Couid it be a wiring short in flybridge , ingress of water into joint , bad earth ? Any ideas ?
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

This is becoming a frequent fault on 60/70 series Volvos.

Use the Search function on YF and you will find quite a few with the same problem. The answer is to go through the entire control loom from the flybridge down to the engine room, checking each connection and function as you go.

Horrible job to do, but that's the answer.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7738900-27-3584.aspx
  3. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

Many thanks for reply, I have engerneer currently doing exactly that not a great job tho !!
  4. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

We striped flybridge looms , found that the bow thruster control has burnt wires . Due to ingress of water /damp Further investigation has found that the earth wire has been wired into instrument panel earth . We tried to get data from port ecu but it's not allowing . Starboard engine ok . We tried to reboot port ecu but it won't allow . The yellow diagnostic indicator flash 8.2 . We have referd back to Volvo for more info but it is painfully slow . Couid the ecu have taken a spike from the bow thruster control via the earth ? Will I need a new Ecu ? When we turn on ignition to port engine the yellow light continually flashes with red active station , until you press yellow diagnostic , then you get 8 .2 flash ? The engine won't turn over ?
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Never come across that particular set of problems before. Sorry, can't help from here on.
  6. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

Is a Volvo truck engine ecu the same as a Volvo marine engine ecu ? Can it be reprogrammed to suit ?
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Not sure why you want to go with a truck one? The truck's ECU run Motorola MPC555 or MPC565 processors which are pretty programmable if thats any help.
  8. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

Just that truck ecu are really easy to get hold of and a fraction of the cost if they will program ro suit . Thank you for your help
  9. Phil benham

Phil benham New Member

Hi back to problem again . I had Volvo penta main dealer down on Monday he diagnosed the port ecu was spiked /wiped . He found that the bow thruster was wired incorrectly and rewired into domestic battery . He went away ordered a new ecu from Volvo in Sweden returned today fitted it . Everything seemed good . We took out for sea trail down numerous manoeuvres forward / reverse low speed high speed all good on return wiliest reversing into pontoon port engine engaged on own I had to shut down engine had very close escape from disaster . My other half is in peaces the Volvo engerneer was shook up with the expearance . His diagnostic equipment said loss of power at flybridge control ? . On speaking to another boat owner in marina who owned a princess with Volvo s said he had simalar issues with forward . I also learnt a princess kept up at another marina had to be fully rewired an new controls ? This is very dangerious and I need to resolve it my good lady is refusing to get back on board ? Any further views wouid be appreciated thanks
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member