Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Volvo IPS

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by calicaptain, Dec 1, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. calicaptain

calicaptain New Member

Has anyone ready any reviews on the new Volvo IPS system

http://ips.volvo.com/Standard.aspx

Also, has this system been used on any boats yet? My friend and I are interested in using this system on our next project.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A press release came across my desk a few weeks ago stating the IPS system has been adapted by upwards of 40 builders. I think Lars has some experience with integrating the system into one of his builds as well. Maybe he can chime-in on this thread.
  3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As Brian points out, there has been discussions here before when the IPS was launched.

And yes Carl, we were thinking of using the IPS/500 in our new 40-footer. Volvo Penta claims you can compare it to a shaft installation on 500 hp but the engine has 370 hp.

We have now used the DPS/350 (duoprop) about a year and have found it to be an extremely powerful and nice engine in this class.

Therefore we have looked at other boat manufacturers and our conclusion is that IPS is a good replacement for boats that today have shafts or V-drives depending on space for installations. It can be also coupled with a transaxle to midship engines if there is space for this further aft.

However we think the Duoprop is a better solution for us, especially since top speed and shallow draft is essential on our commuters.

We have a couple of Swedish brands offering both alternatives in a boat, the latest out is the Nordwest 420. As you can see on these drawings from Nordwest the IPS installation takes up a lot more of the space in the engineroom. Accentuated by the neat Duoprop package where the D6/350 comes very close to the transom.

So, today I think boats around 10-12 tonnes might benefit from the IPS, with a less heavy boat the Duoprop is still a better option.

/Lars

Attached Files:

• ips.jpg
      ips.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Adamsfleet

Adamsfleet New Member

I would like to know what everyone thinks of their claims "30% better fuel economy, 20% top end," etc.. As well as the novelty of putting the prop(s) first.

We all know there is room for improvement in hydrodynamic efficiency. Is this going to become a big deal, or just remain one model from one maker?

-Adam
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I spent a couple hours last night reading and watching everything on the volvo IPS site. The maneuverabilty looks to good to be true,especially for us less experienced boaters.:rolleyes: The only question I have is Volvo says they are for planning hulls only ! Any one know why?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I guess it is because they are today sold with high performance engines. Also because the pods need to be positioned so the propshafts are horizontal which comes without modifications to a planing hull.

In the future I am sure we will see IPS for both smaller and bigger engines. Probably also for single installations.