Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Volvo IPS owners/capts chime in.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt J, Nov 13, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have a customer looking to buy a 60-70' MY and one of them is an IPS boat. I've run 5 IPS boats, but never maintained one for the long term. A broker told him that maintanence is a nightmare and one owner has replaced 5 drives from seals going bad from fishing line and other debris and not covered under warranty. Another one had to replace the bellows a few times. How is the maintanence and durability in your opinons? Have you had any issues over and over? Please state what size boat, year, and hours.
  2. sgawiser

sgawiser New Member

In 5 years, we have not had any major issues at all. The only issue is that the boat needs to be hauled to change the fluid in the drives. I have not noticed any significant difference in the cost of annual service compared with our previous boats.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Those seals going bad from fishing line would be the same with any IPS, Zeus, I/O or outboard. They're all vulnerable to that. However, in 59 years of running and owning boats, it's never happened to me. Makes you wonder where he cruises or is he a sportfirsher who has a habit of running over his own lines when backing down on a fish. Mind you that I have snagged fishing line, but it just never cost me a seal. The bellows too is a weird one, although I'd imagine those would have been covered by warranty.

I'd guess that the annual maintenance cost would be similar to that for an outdrive, but you could probably get a better idea with a PM to Fishtigua. Then there's the fuel savings to consider. If your man plans to run much that savings could be considerable.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not true. The Volvo IPS drives have foward facing props, so any fishing line you run over has more of a tendancy to get wrapped around the shaft behind the prop. Zues, i/o, and outboards have rear facing props and any line hits the drive first and has less of a chance to get wrapped into the propshaft, although does happen on rare occassions. I hear of bellows issues and not covered under warranty too.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah yes, the anti-Volvo, anti-forward facing prop argument. Is fishing line more likely to work it's way into the seal of a forward-facing duo-prop, where it seems likely to wind its way around the front of the props, or with aft-facing props where it seems likely to wind itself around the back of the prop right at the seal? Do you have something more than "I hear" as a source? I'm sure there must have been a study done if it's such a large problem. I can tell you that I've had aft-facing props foul with lines, eel grass, etc.; yet it's never happened to me with a forward facing prop. Not sure that means anything more than happenstance.
    As for the bellows, are Volvo's made of a different substance than Zeus', and is the Zeus' warranty of them different than Volvo's? Again, with the millions of R&D dollars that have gone into these innovations there must be something more authoritative than "I hear" available (although I'm not aware of it) if it is actually a problem.

So far the most authoritative statement I've heard is that of Sgawiser above. That's first hand experience based on 5 years of use, and it doesn't support what you've said.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Nycap...just what experience do you have with IPS to give you such strong opinions? Have you ever used them? Have you then ever talked to people who have at length? J has just said what he's heard and asked for information from users. As to Zeus vs. Volvo, they both have advantages over each other. J is trying to get answers for a boat buyer who was told very negative things by a broker. I also have heard of those who have had major issues, but I can't put it in perspective of whether percentage wise there are more of those with IPS than other boats.

I have considered IPS and in the process read many posts on many forums, talked to other owners, and talked to the builder's representatives. I've gotten very conflicting views. I've heard the same as sgawiser, very happy customers. However, I've also heard from those who had complete units sheared off and were dismayed that no one had replacements so had to wait for the factory to build them. I've looked at all the performance charts and comparisons. I've evaluated what it does for space inside the engine room. I've heard the Zeus advocates and the IPS advocates.

I came out of it all without a clear picture at all as to how much more problem if any they are. I do believe initially they were considerably more problematic as with most new systems, but don't know today. I've been on one forum where three or four actual owners and their complaints would scare anyone, yet I put that into perspective, that it was three. Meanwhile, I've talked to Sabre owners who love them and obviously Sabre is a very strong supporter of them. It would also seem that Sabre as a builder probably has worked through more of the issues. Certainly builders like Delta very much like IPS.

We decided against IPS in spite of the advantages of economy. We did it because we are happy with conventional drives, because while the economy is greater, the range isn't as in the same boat the IPS has less fuel capacity, because the draft for the IPS is greater in that boat by a few inches, and because in some areas we intend to use the boat (on the loop) we would feel less confident in being able to find knowledgeable service people.

I hadn't posted in this thread because I don't fit J's requested response profile, since he wanted a long term user. But you don't fit it either yet seem determined to offer opinions based on just supposition. At least mine are based on actual research and I've not expressed an answer to J's specific question as all my research didn't give me one.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have run many IPS for a local dealer, delivered many, and taught quite a few how to use them. I like them a lot. Don't have much experience on Zeus, but remember all the rumor mongering against IPS when Zeus was trying to get a foothold in the industry. Same thing way back when Volvo held the rights to the duo-prop. I have no "strong opinion" one way or another. Just prefer facts to speculation and "I heard", and the only facts I've seen are from Sgawiser. That's why I'm asking for results of tests rather than "I heard" from an unknown source.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

P.S. That's why I suggested a PM to Fish so authortative answers can be gotten. He's a Volvo guy, and we used to have another Volvo guy here, I believe it's AMG. Either of those guys should be able to address this question with authority and fact.

"I hadn't posted in this thread because I don't fit J's requested response profile, since he wanted a long term user. But you don't fit it either"

You've been making several assumptions about me recently, and have no idea what you're talking about. I suggest you should have followed your first instinct and stayed off this thread since you have no experience with them or me. For the record, I've been running boats for 59 years, and have probably run more different types of boats and systems than you've seen.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  9. olderboater

If there were results of tests published this would be easy.

I wouldn't use the comparisons to Volvo's Duo-Prop ventures as that was a disaster in the area I lived in. Not that the duo props is a bad concept, but that the execution hurt Volvo's reputation in the area tremendously. I know personally many boaters who missed an entire season of boating with issues.

Capt J was very clear in what his customer had heard and trying to get information from users. He didn't speculate at all. It's his thread and you just came in to argue rather than contribute. He's the one asking. The truth is that Capt J is actually wanting his customer to purchase the IPS and trying to diffuse what his customer has heard. He's looking for owners. I'm not one and you aren't one. Sgawiser is one. I do know some happy users and some very unhappy ones. Just not many on this site.

Capt J did not state the bellows issue was greater on IPS than Zeus. I find bellows to be a problem on every form of stern drive and recreational pod drive. On the lake where muskrats enjoyed life many Mercruisers sank as a result of bellows issues.

He did state that fishing lines were a greater issue with IPS facing forward. Go to any fishing forum and you'll hear that complaint on any IPS discussion.

Now, this isn't an IPS vs. Zeus discussion as the boat I considered IPS on is a Sunseeker and they only offer IPS. That's also what Capt J's customer is looking at.

Had the boat we're ordering only come with IPS, I don't know whether we would have still purchased it. I think we probably would have. But we had a choice and chose otherwise.

As to Sgawiser, I find many Sabre owners are thrilled with their boat and with IPS. The customer satisfaction is outstanding. I haven't heard an IPS complaint yet from a Sabre owner. Sunseeker says they've had no problems with IPS but I haven't yet met or talked to an owner of a Sunseeker with IPS.

Now I've turned to other resources for answers and here are some points made by those expert with pods, especially with Sabre. Two benefits that get overlooked are the reduction is noise and smell. IPS does have to be hauled at 25 hours and then at every 250 or 12 months. For someone using 250 or fewer hours, it's not a big thing. For someone using more it is an added cost. Outside of that, John Siebert, whose company commissions and maintains most new Sabres delivered to South Florida states that IPS will cost about $2,000 more per year basic maintenance, so a minimal amount. There is an article on Yachting Magazine titled beyond the hype that is very informative.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One of the negative comments on them is from a very well respected marine surveyor whose girlfriends boat is one of the ones that has had a lot of problems. I hear something about the bellows having a non-s/s part that causes it to corrode and leak. I didn't ask the broker on that one for specifics. One manufacturer, who produced a lot of boats with pods, dropped them and told me they had way too many issues with them. I too hear both sides of the fence. A friend of mine maintained a 48' Formula 2006 since new to 2012 with IPS and never had a problem with them, the owner traded the boat in on an identical new 48' Formula in 2012. I've heard a few stories citing drive seal issues/failures and $15k and 2 months for a new drive an no warranty on it.

I've run both IPS and ZUES, a handful of IPS and dozens of ZUES. I have REALLY rung out zues on over a dozen boats, one of them doing back to back to back seatrials for the Miami Boat show back in 2009 I think, the ZUES never faltered. Zues is my preference due to the fact that the boat doesn't have to be hauled to changed any of the fluids. Also I feel the autopilot/steering/controls are better integrated on the ZUES. However I hear the honeymoon between ZF/Cummins/Mercruiser is over. I prefer the rear facing props as I feel the drive itself diverts floating debris better.

The IPS has it's merits too as I feel the bronze propellors are better at preventing scaling and stuff and better than s/s in this application. Having one company for warranty issues is also a bonus, however Volvo isn't known for their warranty support being stellar.

None of that is neither here nor there, since the particular boat my owner is somewhat interested in is a 2012 with IPS drives. He loves the boat, and quite frankly would've owned it by now if it had conventional shafts. But is scared off because of what he hears about issues with PODS. He doesn't do but 3 long (700-1000NM trips) per year, never runs the boat himself so the handling advantage is a mute point.

I too really like the pods for the maneuverability, the 30-40% fuel economy increase with twins, the lack of noise and vibration, and increased space. I've never maintained a boat with them, just did deliveries and have run them. NYCAP things may be totally different in your neck of the woods with them, as the pods are only in the water 6 months out of the year and that might mitigate some of the issues or allow them to be caught a lot sooner and fixed for a lot less. I'm trying to get answers from actual owners who have had them a while and use them.
  11. olderboater

And for the record, anyone who thinks Capt J is against IPS didn't hear his arguments to us encouraging us to get them, encouragement which we aren't following. But he was very much pro-IPS.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

wow, just wow.