Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Volvo IPS - CMD Zeus

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by orion, Oct 21, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NoRudder

NoRudder New Member

Maybe I am wrong

Ok guys, maybe I am wrong. But Paul Spencer seems to be going forward with this type system (I just can't see jets on a sportfish), Lazzara has a few models now (a 92' yacht with yes 4 IPS 900's that cost less than twin 1,800HP shaft versions and burns less than 100 GPH at a 25+ knot cruise), Freedom Yachts has a triple IPS 2 sportfish advertised and I am pretty sure Donald Blount is into this since he reviews all IPS potentials I am told.
    I think these fellas have been around the block a time or two and understand their markets. Lazzara has built more than 15 75 LSX's I believe. Max fuel burn on those by the way is 88 GPH, since each little D6 can only burn 22 GPH. Pretty thrifty I would say, and they seem to be selling pretty well. I don't have much info on the 76' with triple ZEUS they announced at Miami. I don't think it is in full production yet.
  2. Highlander

Highlander New Member

What happens when the **** hits the fan?

For 10 years now, I have been running a dinosaur, a jet boat with no electronics in the drive system. Steering is hydraulic as well as the bucket (reverse thrust) controlls. I love it! I dare anyone to do better with any kind of joystick!
    What happens to IPS or other systems when the computer goes ZAP! ?

I happened to be at Little Harbor when they were testing an early joystick (mandated by Hinckley, the new owners) , the first trial failed when they threw some water on it. The second time they built a back up system that worked with hard wired toggle switches. The guy who taught me how to run a jet, was there and he docked the boat using only the switches and the hydraulic steering.

Do any of these new systems have a backup plan?
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

IPS has a "take-me-home" function, but not a parallell system. (As far as I know).
  4. Blair

Blair New Member

Highlander mentions about reliability of joy sticks for jets in particular - Hamilton has the Mouse Boat version for their units and one would expect that Hinkley's have since adopted the latest stuff.

As far as I am aware the systems that Hamilton Jet offers derived from the very sophisticated control units developed for larger craft with multiple big jets - crew boats, ferries and military applications for example. Apparently very reliable and proven. I understand they still have the levers for manual operation with the wheel but I am not sure whether twin or more units could then be steered independently and in opposition to each other for dynamic manouvering (in conjunction with bow thrusters in some cases) that the electronic function obviously offers. Basically though, you would not be dead in the water and unable to steer etc if a failure occurred.

Salthouse Marine here has launched a couple of 65' game boats with quad IPS's and has orders for more - mainly from Australia. Flat out is about 32 knots and cruise late 20's. Seem to have caught a keen market with them. Mind you, in our typical sea conditions in NZ (and Australia perhaps) few would want to try and travel at 45 knots! Salthouse are looking at the new larger HP IPS versions in triple configuration for some new builds too. Worth a look at their website perhaps.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Up-date on rebuilt IPS

Now that Volvo have sold 10,000 IPS units and we have rebuilt our first one, I have to tell you how it was re-installed.

We have a 75 ton Travellift, so we had to tilt the 42 foot cruiser over a few degrees so that the deadrise was equal with the ground for a straight lift up. It looked quite spectacular and wrong. It went straight in, nice job.

Of course the Engineer put his toolbag on top of the genset box ,so as the hull was tiltted, all his tools slid down the back and into the bilge.

As any of you know, Volvo Saildrives have a rubber ring that seals from the box to the drive and sometimes saltwater can get inside and start to rot underneath the ring. IPS is no different. Thus an installation change has been made, check with your dealer.

So,all in all, a rebuilt IPS takes about 4 more hours to do over an outdrive but is a lot quicker to put back with a good, big Travellift.

Fish
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You tilted the boat so the drive would fit straight?:confused: I DK the weight of an IPS drive but wouldn't it be easier to either manhandle the drive or use a forklift to lift and tilt the drive or even stand the drive at an angle and drop the boat down on it?
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The "normal" way is to lift with a rope from above. It is attached around and on the outer side of the top of the IPS drive including the oil cooler and the seal. If there is no access for a lifting rope above, there is a special lifting device (No 885836) that can be fitted on top of the inside bracket.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We have now installed triple IPS/600 in our first D54 hull and it performed very well, almost 42 knots and with less wake than most boats this size.

If you think the superstructure looks small, it is because we simply put a D29 inside the hull for the initial testing... :)

Attached Files:

9. orion

orion Senior Member

Hull looks very nice, beautiful bow profile.
    Why do you choose triple IPS 600 instead of twin IPS 800 with more power and less weight?
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Orion, we had the idea to use twin IPS-2/900 but they are larger, more heavy and more expensive I think. If they are more powerful, I don´t know, maybe we will test them as well in the future, but this triple installation is the most efficient for us at this point.
  11. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

The numbers were run at Tiara to consider 2 of the IPS2 900's at 700hp for the 5800 Sovran, in place of her 3 IPS 600's at 435hp. The added weight for an additional 95hp had the boat running a couple knots slower with potentially higher fuel consumption, so end of project.

And Lars, great looking hull! What is her projected wet weight?
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you for the confirmation on my conclusion. Our hull is now built with carbon fibre and vinylester infusion and the whole boat will be built as light as possible. During the trials we had a total weight of 12,5 tonnes which is about what she will be when finished.

Attached Files:

13. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

It is unique to see the outboard drives on the same plane, or at least parallel to the center drive. This should help to neutralize a bit of the well-known inside turn heel induced by drives in concert with the deadrise. Must have been a challenge to get cleanly down to center with 3 flat drive faces. I would be interested to hear the load comparsion of the center to the outboards in that configuration. No doubt she is fast!:eek: What a great project, I envy the fun you must be having.
  14. Highlander

Highlander New Member

With the D29 hardtop, the boat looks like a 50's era chopped top hot rod!
  15. Kidworks

Kidworks New Member

I've seen the Zeus system in action and I was amazed! At the Knoxville Sea Ray facility, they had a contest on which 12 year old kid could handle a 43 Sundancer best. That explains why they are so popular, along with speed and economy. IPS worried me as well with the forward looking propellers. I also like the Zeus stay put feature. It definitely would make docking easier when short crew or single handling. I like the Viking Express Cruiser better for layout than the Sea Ray, but I haven't been able to gain any info on what propulsion system they are offering. Anyone know? I am thinking of making an offer on one that has toured the Great Lakes but is still considered new. It's been on sale for over a year so I'm hoping to get them to drop the price quite a bit since she has done the Great Lakes shuffle on her own bottom. That translates into "used" by me.
  16. mrhuhta

mrhuhta New Member

Long time reader but first time poster:) . i´ve been reading up on IPS and wanted to post a a video of crash testing the IPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLmlWgLHZAc don´t know if this has been posted before.
  17. johnny mac

johnny mac New Member

What about cost?

From what I understand, the Zeus incorporates the "stationary" feature as "standard". The IPS does not. On a 45 footer, its an additional $20,000 upgrade!
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And one that will rarely be used and rarely used in the right way/situation. I can easily imagine finding a boat maneuvering itself in front of a bridge while everyone is down below having lunch.
  19. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Wrong, its an option on both systems.
  20. johnny mac

johnny mac New Member

Zeus "Skyhook"

Must be a "distributor" decision. Zeus yacht manufactures I've contacted in the past included Skyhook with their units as part of the price. Sabre, Micholson. Go figure?