Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport

Volvo IPS ACP issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by zen, Apr 13, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zen

zen Member

Here's my quandary. The ACP unit on my boat has a heavily corroded stud through the black plastic housing. While the boat was pulled, we planned to order a replacement stud or have one machined. Today my service company called and said Volvo no longer makes the stud and they aren't comfortable putting a machined stud in its place should something go wrong. The only solution they proposed was replacing the ENTIRE unit for 5k-ish. While I understand their position on principle, I refuse to pay 5k for a rusted stud. I have found very little information on ACP online, hopefully someone here has some advice?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Speak to Volvo directly and tell them the issue. I've found many times service companies only have part of the information, if even that, and the manufacturer should be able to quickly advise you.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

This sort of thing annoys me, as a dealer. Yes we have to tell you to replace the whole unit, as Volvo says, but you know from you're own experience that just swapping a simple part will fix the problem.

We have the same with something simple like waterpumps. The manufacturer will state that a new $1100 new pump should be fitted, were all it needs is a $12 seal. Well I now have built a list of simple repair parts that work that bypass these rip-offs. It's called proper engineering.