Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Viking 50, 55 and 57 Motoryacht bridge clearance

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Scott&Malina, Oct 17, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

I know these are tall boats, 21.5 feet from what I've gathered, but just where is this measurement taken from the highest point of the bridge/windshield? As I recall, most yacht builders base their height from waterline to the highest "fixed" point, usually the bridge. In short I'm asking is this measurement taken from the radar arch on the Viking by any chance? If so, it could be a Looper boat, but not if it's that tall at the fly bridge.

Thanks for any input on this?

Scott & Malina
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hello, and Welcome to Yacht Forums.

I would not count on much from an original brochure (IMO). Modifications, folding mast or tops, loading and anything factory / after market changes so much so fast.

I remember Bertram and Hatteras measured (long ago) from the wind screen tops. Hatt had a folding mast that would just lay down. However, tops and frames did not lay down so easy. Later, newer mast were made rigged because of the larger radar, Sat TV domes and more.
    Our Bert was not to tall till the hard top was added, Then I piled even more stuff up there.

True measurements will have to be made on any ship considering the loop.

Are you shopping for a particular model Viking or already have one in mind?
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You really can't deal in generalities. Often you'll have a couple of measurements, to the top of the windshield and to the top of the arch. Then if it's a hard top you get that measurement as well. But you need to get specific measurements of the exact boat you're dealing with. It changes year to year, boat to boat.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The mfg's number will be to the highest fixed point, but very well may not include radar archs, etc. as they're often an add-on and option. You don't want those numbers anyway though. There's lots of videos we've seen here where the measurement was just a little off or misunderstood. It gets real ugly. Get out the tape. Before we began the Loop with Valhalla (56' Hatteras M/Y) I put this on my spec sheet at the helm :
    Bridge Clearance:
    37 ft. to tallest mast
    26 ft. to masthead light
    18 ft 10 in to windshield
  5. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Undoubtedly, you had to lower your gear and remove your hat for the transit in Chi town. Appreciate the feedback!

Scott & Malina
    Greg Ball likes this.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unfortunately we cut it short just shy of Chicago, but yes, arch, bimini and antennae down for the Erie canal. No big deal. The lower helm station enabled us to keep our hats on though.:) Chicago is generally over 19'1", but we could have taken off the rail and windshield to get another 18" or so if needed although that would have been a bit of a pain.

That's why, although mfgs specs will tell you if you're in the ballpark before purchase, you always want your own measurements.
  7. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Thanks for the welcome rcrapps: We haven't settled on a boat yet. Although I'm doing some of this basic research from afar (without the opportunity to do any on sight measurements) to try and decide between the two we have narrowed our search to. The two boats we are comparing have been the 57 Viking MY (any year they were made, 90-94 I believe), and the 56 Hatt MY Series II). We've already personally viewed the 56 Hatt and have began day-dreaming about one. The Viking 57 hasn't been viewed yet in person. I really like the full beam ER in the Viking, but I can live comfortably in the split ER on the Hatt as I'm a DIYer for most things mechanical. The Admiral could go to sea on either one, so that's not an issue. I want to be able to do the loop someday on one and don't want to be hampered by a small refit job on the waterway. I feel as though we would be most comfortable on a Hatt, but the Viking layout and some of her features are hard to get past.
    I know...I know you Hatt owners are going to give me good reason to kick the Viking plans. I've heard a lot of the pluses and I can't argue them. I guess I'm waiting on are the few Viking 57 owners to make an argument as well....it hasn't happened thus far. Maybe there's good reason.

Scott & Malina
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also the measurements on the Loop are minimum heights and vary depending on the canal height at the time. For example I've found there's an extra 1-2' of clearance from those measurements provided you're not going through right when the canal opens and all of the snow is melting and draining.
  9. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Agreed! Nice story, so you had to turn back or you planned it that way?
  10. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Good point, another reason to know your boat limits (sizes). Both above and below the WL I might add...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I did the loop in a 1988 75' Hatteras MY in entirety it was same measurement as NYCAP to the windshield, we lowered arch/masthead/bimini top. I also did East Coast to Ohio and Milwaukee on 2 other boats which would only get down to 20'2" and 21' and we had plenty of clearance about 1.5-2' both times in Troy,NY. One was in June one was in May.

The height published by the manufacturer is supposed to be to the tallest point. BUT, it may not include electronics such as radar which could easily add another 1-1.5' etc. etc. Searay is accurate because the boat comes equipped with everything mounted on the hardtop already (electronics etc) and is measured that way. I think you'd have to measure every boat. If you're talking about purchasing an older viking, either the wide-bodies or the one based off of a SF hull, I believe a lot of those had hinged radar arches, but I am not sure. Almost all of the Hatteras' from the 80's/90's had hinged radar arches standard.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  12. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Interesting...I appreciate the history based on your experience. Well, at least I know I can make it in the Hatt if I choose to go that route. It is the older wide body Vikings I'm referring to, but all I've seen thus far is 21.5 feet clearance, but no reference as to where they get that from. So, I suppose I'll have to bring my tape during the visit to the 57 Viking if we get a chance to look at one. Not many have been on the market lately.
  13. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Here is a vantage point on 10/15/15 going under the infamous bridge on the Cal Sag on a 1981 56' Hatteras. More room than usual on this particular day. I have now done this trip on two different 56' Hatts and can't say enough good things about them.

Attached Files:

14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hehehee, I have the same picture when I went through on the 75' Hatteras.
  15. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

RB480,
    Awesome pics, thank you for sharing! I have to say, that still has to make the ole ticker skip a beat. I mean, I'm getting tense just looking at it from the comfort of my desk. I would still like to be in your chair and not this one, especially this time of year. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Scott
  16. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Made the trip in my 55'; arch folds to allow 19' clearance.
  17. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

Captainwjm,
    I appreciate the info. So, it does seem like most ads/info I've read for these older Vikings have included the arch, at least in your case.

Thanks,
    Scott & Malina
  18. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Scott,

I'm also "looking" for a boat in the same length range as your possibilities. I am also limited by bridge heights on the canals in the northern US. (yes I know there are ways around them). Have you looked at the express type boats?
  19. Scott&Malina

Scott&Malina New Member

I have looked at the express type boats at one time early in our boat search, but have come to the conclusion it's not what we want. We want a comfortable live-aboard, something I can work on well into my older years (in comfort), i.e. stand-up engine room. We want something to cruise the Caribbean as well as the Loop. I just don't believe we would like doing that in an Express Cruiser.

Scott & Malina
  20. Zud

Zud Senior Member

I came to the same conclusion with the help of the knowledgeable yachts men and women as well as the many captains on this forum. I want a forever boat not a starter boat and like the look and space of the Flybridges. Good luck in your search !!