Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

VHF Replacement antenna

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MBevins, Feb 2, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I have to replace the 8' VHF antennas .
    Before I go and just buy a pair of Shakespeare's, is there now a better option?
  2. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

I really like the Digital's. Very nice "finish" on the fiberglass but the bet part is the micro adapter which allows you to chase thru small holes and saves you from having to crimp/solder.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Everybody has a good finish these days. Everybody's sticks work well when built on a good day.
    All sticks only last 5 years before the fuzz in the glass finish and the fuzz in the radio happens.
    There are no atomic antennas that last forever.

That said, I purchase and recommend the tallest, most DB (large power boat ap) stick that can bolt on, that is on sale the week it's needed.
    It's usually a Shakespeare Galaxy and have never been let down.

There is nothing better than a proper solder connect at the end of the coax & PL259. I have tried those gold clamp on thingies. For emergencies; Maybe.
    A part of my normal ships radio system; heck no.
  4. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

X2 on the Digitals. Or Morad if you want to be all heavy duty.
    Digital's connector system (which is NOT a "gold clamp thingy") has stood the test of time, and is always "propery soldered".
  5. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I had a look at the Morad antenna. They look really good. I suspect that is the way to go.
  6. Northwind

Northwind Member

I went with the Shakespeare Phase 3 antennas. Not sure the finish is that much better than anything else. But the connectors are notably better. I followed the weakest link argument and attached the Phase 3 antennas to my system with LMR400 wire and connectors.