Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Vega 20

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Capt Ralph, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Built in Hialeah FL (N Miami) the Scholl mfg (later the Vega Mfg) company's made a deep V 20 footer open dual console day boat during the 60s. Powered by single and twin Volvo B18 and AQ100 drives.
    You never slowed down for even the tallest tug boat wake. What a wonderful ride for a small boat.
    I had connections during the 80s that enabled me to repair the original down draft Zenith carbs.
    Volvo finally went Solex and then the B20 engine.
    I restored a pile of these little marvels. The hardened owners in coastal Georgia would never give them up. When the balsa coring gave out, I ripped out the inside lamination, cleaned out the old balsa soup, scored plywood and rebuilt from the inside.
    Rebuilt the transoms and installed Volvo 280 and DPs with 260hp v-8s.

Sadly, I took the last incomplete project hull to the land fill a few years ago.

I occasionally see the last one running south of Savannah once in a while. It's more epoxy patch than it's original skin but still rides well (and floats).

If anybody has ever rode on the WellCraft V20, They bought the molds, added an in-liner, added a couple of lifting strakes and made them for several more years. The hull is still deep but a lil modified aft to help the speed and mpg.

I bring all of this up to;
    Answer http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/...g-on-a-yacht-and-living-on-a-houseboat.25232/ #16 and help Norseman get out of the car #17.

Anybody out there remember the Vega 20s or WellCraft V20s?

But wait, there is more;
    I just purchased an old Wellcraft V20. My father is putting an old Merc outboard together and we should be re-living the ride in a couple of more weeks. Our last work boat (Aquasport 17) is down pending a new alloy fuel tank and taller transom.
    Pictures in a few days.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The only Vega I remember is the car, which wasn't very memorable. I moved this thread to the tender forum for better indexing in Google.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, you never lived in one, did you?
    I did and it was very memorable. :D
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I did live in an AMX for a while. Still think you had a smaller accommodations. Think my seats folded down nicer. And yes, memories (to music).
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, my accommodations were smaller, but perhaps I was the skinny guy:)
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, I was 6'8" and 270lbs then (late 70s). You were da skinny guy.
    Gravity, 3 wives, Baker act, dissected aorta and mass quantities have taken their toll.
    But I'm feeling better now...
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Hmm, can't compete with the size, but the 3 wives sounds familiar.
    Jeez, be careful out there, a dissected aorta could ruin yer day.
    I went vegan 2 years ago to beat the system.
    Just need to cut down on beer and the occasional smoke.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Naw. 15 years ago I collapsed. Was drug in from the woods. Doctors told my clan to kiss my asp good bye. No pulse for several hours (but pump still ticking). Chest cutter from another hospital came over (needed a new car) and saved my life. 4 weeks in the hospital, few months in a recliner at home and back to the grind. Been grinding, drinking, eating and more ever since.
    Best health thing was retire a couple of years ago and work this lil shop of ours full time.
    No more road rage. Not mad when I come home. Not grinding no more.
    Praise getting vertical (slow process) in the morning. Get to share stories with kids like you.