Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

Vava II helicopter pilot

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by chesapeake46, Feb 11, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I was looking at the pictures of Vava.
    Great pictures by the way.
    I see the helicopter stowed on board and I wondered about the pilot.
    Would an owner of such a yacht have a pilot on staff or maybe is the captain also a pilot ?
    I am assuming the helicopter does not get an awful lot of use but maybe I'm wrong.
  2. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

There is definitely a licensed helicopter Pilot for the time the helicopter is on board. I pretty much doubt there is a captain working as a Pilot at the same time out there. So at least one Pilot who is also responsible for the maintenance.
  3. chesapeake46

Thanks.
    I have to believe a pilot is not in-expensive to keep on the payroll.
    It would be hard for me to be paying him when I'm not flying.
    I imagine, as a pilot, he doesn't double as anything else on the yacht.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

From my own experience being on several vessels with machines and knowing a number of folks on other ones The pilot is generally a commercial pilot with dry ink on his license. Some may have other duties which vary. I know of only one who was also a fully certified airframe and power mechanic who could do his own maintenance. The rest either take the machine somewhere or call someone.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Our pilot is just that- a pilot. His job is keep the machine clean, fueled, and to be ready to fly at any time. There are hours of boredom, but when they want to fly he needs to be ready and rested.
    Although he isn't expected to, he does help out in a few other areas. He's a line/fender guy when we are pulling in/out of the dock. He often runs errands around town for people who don't have time to step ashore. He also helps out with keeping the crew mess tidy. He will generally also offer to pull watch on someone's behalf when we hit the dock and the crew wants to go out on the town. But these are all out of the kindness of his heart.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

That sounds very much like the pilot with the engineering tickets I described above. He used to do an engine room watch when it suited his operational needs instead of us doing 6 on 6 off.
  7. chesapeake46

Thanks for those replies.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

One of my buddies have been doing relief work as a heli pilot on a 240' yacht while the regular pilot was on vacation and days off.
    He had no additional duties except to keep the chopper clean and ready to go anytime.
    Ideally a Yacht helicopter pilot holds an A&P license so as to perform routine maintenance and sign off inspections.
    (A&P = Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic)

It would be a rare situation to have the Yacht Captain fly the helicopter, each job requires lots of experience and qualifications and there is little or no overlapping.

Another buddy of mine was flying a Gulfstream III jet for an owner and he also Captained his 65' yacht on Florida to Bahamas trips but he was not comfortable on the boat. He called me a few times to ask about Bahamas check-in procedures and details on marinas im the Exumas, etc.
    The gig did not last long and he ended up on a G-4XP for a different owner.