Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Variable speed blowers

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by MYCaptainChris, Sep 30, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Currently my blowers are on or off. When on they blow like a hurricane which is great when at sea. While I'm on the dock having them on is just too loud both in the engine room and on the dock.
    Is there a simple way to make these 3 phase 208v blowers variable speed? The are on a switch which operates a solinoid so I was thinking maybe two speed would be easier???
    Any electical pros out there have suggestions?
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Frequency drives are the answer to your problem.
  3. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Ken is correct if its a single speed motor

look for unused wires coming out of the motor .,some are multi speed but the correct wires need to be hooked up. there may be several wire unused and just capped off.

There should be a wiring diagram on the motor plate that indicates the number of speeds the motor is.

Am I correct in assuming these are direct drive?

This is to everyone,when asking technical questions over the net its always best to post a few pictures of your equipment. Otherwise unless some one is familiar with that exact model , is hard to give answers,

finally are the blower wheels clean and free from dust. Dust and dirt collects on the fins and can raise the db level significantly. Also too small of intake or exhaust ducts can raise the velocity also making them noisy.
  4. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

Check out stamped labels on el. motors.

You can make 2-speed version if there is Delta / Star option.

But I did not understand Your sentence:
    " The are on a switch which operates a solinoid so I was thinking maybe two speed would be easier??? "

Which solenoid is meant ?

Rgds,

Andrei
  5. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Chris,

Here is a a link to a controler we have used in a factory application to control the speed of 3 phase motors. You can eliminate the solinoid and wire you control circuit into the controler. The controler allows you to set the RPM on a LCD display and is accurate to 1 RPM.

http://www.atrump.com/Inverter/E9s.htm
  6. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

brilliant

That looks like the sort of thing I'll be after.

I just knew this forum would come up with something.