Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Using autoroute

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by BoulderGT3, Sep 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I'm having new electronics installed and will have autoroute capability. I've had it on the Garmin stuff in my 32' boat but I've never used it.

Would you guys trust it to do a route from FTL to say, Staniel? I don't think I'll ever do that but I wonder if people use the function in situations like that. Maybe I'm too cynical?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I trust autorouting for planning and to do an initial route. I don't blindly follow it though. I make adjustments as I see fit. The typical adjustment I find myself making is to take wider paths, go further offshore. As long as you use it as a tool, not as the final answer, it is very useful.
  3. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Good input. I guess I could see it for that and kind of at a glance time and fuel planing. Still, when it matters, I still think I own not touching the bottom or going out past 3Miles to avoid the dive boats.
  4. olderboater

That's true with all your instruments. If you run directly into a cargo ship because your radar malfunctions you're in trouble. They are tools.

You might find though that autorouting suggests some routes that you might not have taken and when you look closely, you realize are pretty good. We sometimes lie about draft simply because we know not to trust certain areas.

Yes, the routing doesn't know about all the crab pots and lobster pots either.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I guess it can be used as a draft but why even bother. It s just as quick to do it yourself than correcting

I wonder which way it would pick.... North of BIM? Then straight to NW channel? South or north of NAS? Then from NAS will it run straight across the yellow bank or do a dogleg to the west? So many variables
  6. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

That's exactly the example I was wondering about. It will be fun to play with but mostly for "what it" routing.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen the Garmin route go through or route through inlets/passes I would never use. I have also seen it route to close too shore and personally would not use it.
  8. olderboater

That's why I say never use it as gospel, but can still be a starting place, but not a final route. I've found by telling it my draft is 8' I get routes closer to ones I'd use. We mainly use it now when cruising but just when looking far ahead and estimating mileages.

The other routing we've used is Transas. It's route planning is used heavily by commercial vessels and is far more sophisticated than Garmin. It does take more time as you set up route planning rules. It can also be used to check routes you plan for potential issues. Obviously more expensive and not needed for most recreational boating, but a good tool for long runs offshore and in areas you're not familiar with. Garmin is a simple system, not meant to determine your final route.