Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

USCG Boatswains Mate wanting to be a yacht captain, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Johnbrandt49, May 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Johnbrandt49

Johnbrandt49 New Member

Hi so a brief history on my experience is I was on a 270 ft cutter out of VA for 2 years and worked as a seaman on there, I struck BM and now I have been a boatswains mate 3rd class for just I've a year and I am going to be a certified coxswain at our station within the next couple weeks. Anyway I have about 3 years left that I have already obligated to the CG. I want to become a captain on a yacht and I just don't quite know what I need to do to prepare myself to be a competitive candidate. I am working on my 6-PAC and have about 2 years sea time on the cutter and about a year and a half at a small boat station running boats from 23 ft to 45 ft. What all do I need to do to become a yacht captain? I figured this would be the best place to ask. And thank you very much!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First, I would forget about that 6 pax and go for tonnage. It sounds like you'd qualify for 50GT or possibly 100 and maybe near coastal. Other than running your own fishing charters there's not much work for anything less than 100GT.
    Second, I'd start making connections in the civilian world (brokers, marina managers, etc.) a use this time to network.
    Third, most boats under 80' don't have F/T captains. So you'll either be independent, where that networking a so important, or you'll probably work as a mate for awhile until you can find a boat.
    Fourth, Hit the search feature here. Kep in captain, yacht captain and anything else you can think of on the subject. This question's been asked often so you should find a lot of good info.
  3. Johnbrandt49

Johnbrandt49 New Member

Thank you for all of the info! Just one more question, do you know if there are any degrees that would help set me apart? Or that are required?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In my end of the business (small boats- generally under 80'),no. It's really experience and reputation. I do recommend going to Sea School for exam prep however. As you get into the larger boats you'll be in competition with guys who've graduated from Merchant Marine accadamies. Wherever you go in this business mechanical experience is a define plus, and I'd recommend taking like a Borg Warner course in diesel mechanics. Also, elctronics are becoming a very big part of this business. Not just radars and GPS, etc., but computer and entertainment systems as well. So anything you know in that direction is a definite plus.
  5. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Agreed
  6. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Most all the work I did for the first ten years of my professional career was on boats under 100 GT, and I'm full time on a 87 ton vessel. There is plenty of work on boats under 100 GT, and for captains who's license is 100 tons near coastal.
    In addition IIRC initial sea time on vessel over 300 tons does not count towards higher licenses so what John is granted may depend on the tonnage of the 23-45 footers he's served on.
    Absolutely, it's a numbers game. Outgoing folks get more offers.
    Be a mate first, but be looking for the captain position on vessels you are comfortable with.
    Some captains look to be independent and move from vessel to vessel, and others are content with staying at one job for a length of time. In no way is one better than the other in overall terms; you should decide what you want. If you find the right owner and boat then there is little need to jump from boat to boat. The toughest part of the industry for a captain is to find the right owner. Note that the industry on vessels under say 90 feet (boats) and then those over 90 feet (yachts) tend to run in different circles and have different career paths.

Good luck John!
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've made my living for a quarter century mostly on boats under 100GT, but you really need that endorsement to get hired. It tells potential employers that you have real experience and it's not just a hobby.

Working on one boat is a steady paycheck. The problem is that you don't get as varried experience. So when that gig ends your career could be over.
    Being independent gives you much more experience, but can be very hard if you like any sort of stability. Definitely a personal choice.

Definitely true. It's sort of like dating. You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince. It's more than just running a boat. Your personalities have to mesh. Even if boating is the only thing you have in common, the relationship is more like real friends than employer/employee.
  8. CaptMarc

CaptMarc New Member

Yo "Boats" I was in your shoes...

I was a SNBM Reservist 1983.., and qualified to test ( No Sea School back then)
    I crewed, then Cox'ed 32' and 41' UTB (both boats phased out now...)

I had sea time on sailboats and fishing boats. I started with a 50 ton Master and upgraded, after working on crewboats to 100 ton (8th district NOLA/GOM.)

So I think you probably have time for Master 100 ton, near coastal, possibly more. Over 100 tons, you may need more classes. Those with bigger license can elaborate...

The USCG NMC website has checklists and the info needed. CG should write a letter for your drug testing, and document your sea time. As a BM, all your time counts! Talk nice to the Doc at your CG Physical and he should fill out that form... (free)

Good luck with your CG career. Be careful and see you on the water.

The advise of networking is good. At Small Boat Stations, you interact with the local community (aka yacht owners) so do not be the the "rambo coastie". I say that with respect, but remember most folks on the water are enjoying their boats as we all do!

Marc
  9. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Uscg

Best advice? Start hanging out with MKs and learn all you can from the "black gang." You ask about what you can do to set yourself apart - being an engineer qualified captain is most valuable to a yacht owner. Anybody can dock a boat but troubleshoot a failed Onan or overheating bow thruster...

However, my best advice is do your 20 years and the get out with a pension. Yacht captain jobs are far from permanent and the pension and benefits are invaluable. Stay single.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think going to a prep school is very not necessary. He is IN the Coast Guard, his peers will go over what he needs to know if he asks, so the expense of going to a sea-school is un-necessary and very frowned upon.

I'm going to recommend a different route. First go straight for a 100 ton, as you have the tonnage for it, if you're on a 270'. Upgrade to the highest tonnage if you can, as well as take other courses such as STCW, celesstial or whatever you can take while in the Coast Guard as it's free. Secondly, I'd recommend when you get out of the Coast Guard to look for a job as a mate for a few years, NOT Captain. You're boat handling experience is limited (25-45') in size. Secondly, you probably know nothing about the systems on a yacht at this point in time, and there are many. Being a Yacht Captain isn't mainly about steering the boat, as it is about maintaining all of the systems and being able to repair them while on a trip or running the boat. For a full time Yacht Captain '100<, steering/running the boat is less than 10% of the time. The other 90% is cleaning it, detailing things, keeping the interior right, maintaining all of the systems. The Coast Guard boats you're familiar with have no frills and are setup like a commercial boat or ship, not a luxury yacht.
  11. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Get stationed in South Florida!
  12. WeBeBoatin

WeBeBoatin New Member

Hard not to agree with this advice! After 20 yrs of mostly <200Gt private work, I would tell my sons the same if I had the time to make any.