Click for Furuno Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Mulder

upholstry and canvas work

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by about time, May 8, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. about time

about time Member

anybody fabricate there own enclosure, covers, exterior upholstery? I am thinking about buying a commercial machine, and struggling through the learning curve of doing my own sewing. Thoughts and opinions wanted, I think.
    My reasons are:
    Ability to add covers for chairs, helm station, dingy, or whatever else comes along.
    Upholstery professionals are very busy here (two months out)
    $$$$ because it is labor intensive, I usually wind up working to cheap on my own stuff
    Repairs, nobody wants to come make a small repair
    $$$$ again this time because cash flow is limited, need the flexibility to spend at my own pace, then scheduling (two months out) makes it hard.
    Like to learn
    WIFE LIKES TO SEW
    If you have experience and think its a mistake to take this on please tell me why.
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi,
    A friend of mine had the same idea as you.
    We thought he was nuts.
    He bought a commercial machine and made the enclosure for his boat.
    And covers for every conceivable component on the boat.
    Then he made a new top for his little convertible car.
    And all his friends got custom tote bags for Christmas that year, so, it's doable.
  3. ksbguy

ksbguy Member

I did a full bridge and aft deck enclosure myself and it turned out better than previous professional enclosures I have had. Check out sailrite's website; they have all the tools, machine, materials you need and instructional videos. It's tedious, time consuming and requires commitment but it is doable. You will need a large area to work. At least 8'X16' or it will be difficult. The sailrite 111 is an awesome machine if you don't plan on doing sail work (no zig zag). Since most of the cost is in the labor use the highest quality materials; Sunbrella, strataglass for the windows and tenara teflon thread...

I did it because I wanted to learn and don't like being dependent on others for work that turns out mediocre most of the time. From a cost perspective when you're done you will understand why the canvas guys charge what they charge. There is a large amount of labor involved but if you have a lot of free time it may be worth it to do it yourself...
    Last edited: May 13, 2016