Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross

upgrading to Fiberglass Mufflers

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by commish01, Apr 7, 2005.

1. commish01

commish01 New Member

I am looking to upgrade my '62 Roamer, with GM 283's from the original cast iron mufflers to Fiberglass. Has anyone else done this? Is there anything I need to know in advance?
    Thanks
    Commish01
  2. 9lives

9lives Member

Fiberglass exhaust

Commish,
    I was forced to enlarge my exhaust from the standard cast iron to a 8" dia. opening when I repowered to 3126 cats. My experiance so far has been very positive. They are very quiet and were fairly easy to install.

Bought them through Greg Gajak who might lurk on the Roamer site but is a regular contributor to the Commander site.

Biggest issue is that the f-glass needs to be a safe distance from the mixing valve to keep heat below a certain temp. In my case I needed to keep the fiberglass seperated from the mixing valve by 12" of wet exhaust hose. The pipe and muffler is normally barely warm to the touch when underway. The folks at Centek were quite knowledgable and helpful.

Mark

Attached Files:

3. kips ahoy

kips ahoy New Member

I have also upgraded to fiberglas mufflers on my 59 31'. it was a tight fit but workes great.