Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Updated info on Cat 3116 diesels?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by JimmyL, Jun 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Hi,
    I'm currently looking a buying a 1995 44' Cockpit Motor Yacht that has twin Cat 3116's with 1,316 hrs on each. There's some bad reviews on these motors posted but pretty dated comments. Can anyone tell me if there is any current info on these engines that's more promising? I still have to receive some thorough engine life details but hoped to have some insight beforehand... Best to avoid this altogether or maybe some life to this purchase??
    Thank you in advance.
    Jim
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Cat seems to have fixed their issues a while back. We are managing 3116 & 26 boats whit no problems. A few just had their 1000 hour services with clean health. Get the serial numbers and go see your nearest real Cat shop. They can fill you in on the history and if these engines were affected.
    If they already have a few hours on them without problems, you may (may) have a good set there.

Any history the past owner(s) can offer would be worth the trouble to contact them directly. Make sure they had their 1000 hour service and what was found / serviced then. Inter-cooler solder seams are another issue that usually discovered during 1000 hour service.

Do some searches on YF for other notes and comments.

Can you give us more details on what your looking at? Broker web address for that sale? Maybe someone here at YF knows the boat or more of that model.

,rc
  3. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Thanks RC. We're just going to look at it today. It's a 95 OA 440 Cockpit Motor Yacht at Blackfish Marine in Vancouver, BC. Looks to be an ex-USA boat (I don't have the boat name) and appears to be cosmetically in very good condition. Based on some of the upgrading/condition, I'm hoping they would have been diligent with the mechanical as well. (?)
    I'm very thorough in my research and would love to hear if you know of this boat and it's past.

Cheers,
    Jim
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do not but we have members all over the world including Vancouver. Hopefully someone can inject something.
    Ocean Alexanders are nice. I have worked on one. Cabins looked small but I'm a big guy and then had a few more pounds on me. I don't think anybody else has commented on cabin size.
    Some of our members may have some comments to share. Be sure to search past threads on YF also.

Did you find a on-line listing so we could look it over?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is a good looking ship.