Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Abeking

UK Merchant Navy to Yacht Deck CoC?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by adam1972, Aug 29, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. adam1972

adam1972 New Member

Hi All!

Can somebody please help me with my query?

I am 39 years old & have 23 years Uk Merchant Navy experience working on all types of vessels (CRUISE, RO-RO, CONTAINER, TANKER, ETC) & sailing in all deck capacities, (EDH, AB, Bosun & currently Mate/OOW onboard a Azymyth Stern drive Tug)

I have the following qualifications:-

OOW II/3 DECK NEAR COASTAL 500 GRT CoC.
    GMDSS (GOC)
    ALL ANCILLARY NAV TICKETS (NARAST "O", ARPA, ETC)
    ALL ANCILLARY SAFETY TICKETS (4 DAY FF, FIRST AID, CPSC, SURVIVAL)
    AB & EDH CERT
    FAST RESCUE BOAT COXSWAIN
    RYA YACHTMASTER OCEAN CoC COMMERCIALLY ENDORSED.

And finally........"SEA TIME COMING OUT OF MY EARS"

What I need to know is that I would like to possibly swap over to the yachting side of the industry next year & complete the 2 training modules (GSK & NAV/RADAR For Yachts) so that I can apply for the OOW Yachts 3000 Grt Oral Examination.

What I am not sure of is that after consulting the Mcga & MSN 1802 (M), Is the required seatime?

I am aware that the seatime states 36 months onboard Yacht service, even though I do not have Yacht service, can I use my other Merchant Navy sea time to make up the required sea service or will I have to start from scratch again because of working on a new type of vessel I,E Yachts?

In the Merchant Navy, it does not matter what type of vessel you get your Sea service on to make up sea-time for CoC,s

I am hoping that some like-minded kind person on this Forum can shed a little light as the MCGA are the worlds worse, for giving conflicting incorrect information regarding matters like this?

I also do not want to shell out money for training modules that may not be required at this moment of time.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Adam
  2. MCA examiner

MCA examiner New Member

Seatime requirements

You already have the required seatime.
    We take MN experience into account before issuing NOE's
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums MCAExaminer.

It will be good to have someone here with an intimate knowledge of the UK System to answer the questions that arise on this subject.
  4. MCA examiner

MCA examiner New Member

Yes, you can use your seatime for the 1802 syllabus J

Your seatime is perfectly acceptable for the 1802 syllabus J

I am 39 years old & have 23 years Uk Merchant Navy experience working on all types of vessels (CRUISE, RO-RO, CONTAINER, TANKER, ETC) & sailing in all deck capacities, (EDH, AB, Bosun & currently Mate/OOW onboard a Azymyth Stern drive Tug)

I have the following qualifications:-

OOW II/3 DECK NEAR COASTAL 500 GRT CoC.
    GMDSS (GOC)
    ALL ANCILLARY NAV TICKETS (NARAST "O", ARPA, ETC)
    ALL ANCILLARY SAFETY TICKETS (4 DAY FF, FIRST AID, CPSC, SURVIVAL)
    AB & EDH CERT
    FAST RESCUE BOAT COXSWAIN
    RYA YACHTMASTER OCEAN CoC COMMERCIALLY ENDORSED.

And finally........"SEA TIME COMING OUT OF MY EARS"

What I need to know is that I would like to possibly swap over to the yachting side of the industry next year & complete the 2 training modules (GSK & NAV/RADAR For Yachts) so that I can apply for the OOW Yachts 3000 Grt Oral Examination.

What I am not sure of is that after consulting the Mcga & MSN 1802 (M), Is the required seatime?

I am aware that the seatime states 36 months onboard Yacht service, even though I do not have Yacht service, can I use my other Merchant Navy sea time to make up the required sea service or will I have to start from scratch again because of working on a new type of vessel I,E Yachts?

In the Merchant Navy, it does not matter what type of vessel you get your Sea service on to make up sea-time for CoC,s

I am hoping that some like-minded kind person on this Forum can shed a little light as the MCGA are the worlds worse, for giving conflicting incorrect information regarding matters like this?

I also do not want to shell out money for training modules that may not be required at this moment of time.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Adam[/QUOTE]
  5. adam1972

adam1972 New Member

Blended learning

Thankyou Examiner.

Very kind of you to give me an update,

Lots of changes since my last post!

(1) The new SQA/MSQ TRAINING MODULES.(which have the flexibility of being utilised in any theatre of the Merchant navy.) I am currently working my way through the MSQ modules for Tugs in MGN 495, I must admit the MASTER 500 workboat CoC (MGN 496) is doomed, to much training and expense, for a limited CoC that can only be used on vessels registered as Workboats.

(2) DISTANCE LEARNING (since amended STCW Manila 2010) for yacht training, you can now do your Yachts GSK and NAV & Radar modules via blended learning! Ocean training ltd provide this online, so apart from a 7 day stint on the simulators at college, this can be completed at home or at Sea.

The worlds my oyster, as long as I keep the Oral examiner happy with my new found knowledge! (LoL)

Thanks for your help!