Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

TV on yachts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by sharonk, Jan 3, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sharonk

sharonk New Member

Hello,

I am trying to find out how popular are satellite TVs on yachts (KVH, SeaTel alike) and which product is the preferable one.

Thanks

Sharon
  2. superyachtie

superyachtie New Member

Hiding Plasma's

If anyone wants to add some ideas for hiding plasma's on yachts?

When I went on White Rose of Draches they had one that folded down from the ceiling.

One of the Sunseeker 105 had a oil painting where the canvas rolled back to have the tv behind

And at Monaco there was a stand that sold mirrors with tv's behind.

Other ideas....
  3. Viceroy

Viceroy Member

My two cents worth: While plasma screens are larger than current LCD's, I would seriously look at LCD's as my experience suggests that they are more compatible with a ships motion, vibration and atmosphere. Alternatively, and something I'll install next is a quality projection system in the main salon or principal viewing area, screening images on a treated wall/bulkhead...and if portable, a screen outdoors! Cheers, Richard.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Put it in the crew-mess...:cool:
  5. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Most yacht interior-designers think if they slap a big-screen plasma / LCD in there they have sorted it out.
    Well, any good home-cinema should use 3LCD or DLP projector (whatever the budget is). The Projector is one item, as important is the sound-quality. Most designers so far habe placed it in one of the lower decks, nice and close to the engine-room for maximum distortion :confused: The sound-quality is directly related to the level of sound entering the room from the outside of the transmission of vibration of the structure to the floor and/or walls, ceilings. there are enough online-forums to help you out on this one, but the few MY's I've been one where a absolute laugh if it came to sound-quality. Just a 20.000$ screen and 5 inch speakers ???? What where they thinking ???

For day-to-day viewing on a yacht, I would definitly recommend plasma over LCD due to the higher contrast and more light being generated. On a yacht, you're most likely always going to be in the sun-light (direct or indirect) if you want to watch during day-time, so the highest contrast and light-emission should be your preferred choice if you do not want to "stare" at the TV instead of watching and enjoying it.

Don' hesitate to contact me for mor info on this.

GReetz,

S.