Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Turmoil vs Ulysses - which is the better explorer?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ESCONS, Oct 13, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ESCONS

ESCONS New Member

Both yachts seem quite similar and comparable to me and look like the ultimate explorer yacht. I see many similarities including the following:

Same year of build: 2006
    Similar length: Turmoil 63.7m, Ulysses 59.7m
    Guests/crew: Turmoil 16/14, Ulysses 16+3/9
    Similar asking price: Turmoil $50m, Ulysses $49m
    Both have long range and reinforced hulls with go anywhere capabilities

Is it simply a case of Trinity Yachts vs Royal Denship? Which is the better yacht also keeping in mind asking price?

All other considerations aside, personally I much prefer the interior of Ulysses, while Turmoil seems too utilitarian and seems to need a nice overhaul similar to the one Force Blue got when ownership changed. That means Turmoil could easily (my guess) need an additional $5m to update the interior...

Look forward to your feedback :)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I know the key players involved in the build if both and have been on Ulysses a couple of times.

If you have a client looking at both PM me a list of what you want to know and I will ask.
  3. ESCONS

ESCONS New Member

Thank you K1W1,
    Actually this was just a thread which I started out of interest based on what I believe to be at face value similar yachts, with no potential buyer in mind :)
  4. AuDesigner

AuDesigner New Member

Denship Trinity

Royal Denship do spectacular but generally unseen systems engineering and the quality and design of their structure /build is typically "Northern European" standard. Their interior design is understated and ultilitarian, while "Ulysses" is deliberately a one-of-a-kind show stopper interior (which Trinity could not get their heads around in those days ) - they do now.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Au designer,

I would say straight away you have some bias.
  6. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I took a look at both yacht descriptions at other websites and to my mind I prefer the Turmoil. Given the stated mission of an expedition yacht simpler is better IMHO and better systems engineering is a plus if you are in a remote area. I would be more concerned with reliability, ease of maintenance and range over a fancy interior that might not hold up well in adverse conditions (hot or cold).
  7. AuDesigner

AuDesigner New Member

Trinity Ulysses interior currently being removed and refit by Luca Dini Design. Details online.
    The spectacular H2Design interiors on the Kleven 106 "Ulysses" for sale should achieve much applause.
    I think the 117 Ulysses interior will be somewhat more punchy again.
    It wont be publicised until it is sold- but where does the owner go next after building such 2 shop stopper yachts?
    Very smart boat owners.
  8. AuDesigner

AuDesigner New Member

Correction ; The original interior was not removed and Grand Rusalina is now for sale and available for inspection at MYS2019