Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Trying to replace a stackable washer/dryer on an OA 50 MKII

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by Freedom Capt, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Has anyone successfully replaced a washer/dryer unit on a MKII PHMY? The boatyard I work with has measured all the access areas into the boat including salon, pilot house doors, fly bridge and state room hatch with no solution so far. They even made cardboard templates to see if there was a way to go around the stairs etc. Right now I am thinking my best option is to disassemble and remove the old one then buy a new one take it apart and reassemble in the boat. I did call OA and they pretty much said that the boat was built around the existing unit. Thanks for any advice.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cut the thing up with a sawzall to get it out if you have to. The stacked units do seperate. Do you have enough room to get modern frontloaders into the boat? The modern front loaders, most will stack with a $30 stacking kit. Stick with Whirlpool or Maytag if you go this route.
  3. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Thanks. I'm comfortable getting the old one out, but very little room to get a new one in. No room for modern front loaders, I'm thinking that a whirlpool stackable that is about the same size is the best choice. It will have to be brought on the boat in pieces no wider than 19 inches and then put back together. It has been suggested that a laundry service or buying new clothes would be smarter and cheaper. Haven't been able to convince my wife yet.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm sorry for laughing a bit before responding.
    I remember on a high end Palmer Johnson having fun cutting up the old washer/dryer unit.
    Per P J, the new spec'd equipment would fit in pending all door and companion way trim to be removed.
    It did and the laundry equip worked well.
    Rebuilding, new trim, bungs, matching stain & varnish cost more than all the other bills, including the new equipment.
    Are you sure you want to replace the existing equipment vs fixing it??
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Is your fwd berth tall enough to put a combo washer (all in one) under, could be a little less demo with some creativity?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

19" is ridiculous. Even combos are 24".

I ve been thru this dilemma on a few boats either for washer dryer or fridges. It takes a lot of time to find appliances that will fit in boats.

Recently we need to add a full size fridge freezer on the 84 lazzara i run, down the forward foyer replacing a useless deak. Took me a while to find a counter depth French door unit and I had to remove the doors as well as hand rails and the whole stairs assembly (luckily its hinged to access the water heater) it came down with 1/4" to spare

On my own boat, 53 hatt, I was able to get a combo down by just removing the handrails and some trim. Since then while doing a whole refit I found I was able to easily enlarge the stairs both in width but also in height, by over 6". Makes a huge difference and wasn't hard to enlarge. Not familiar with your boat set up but sometime thinking out of the box can help
  7. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Thinking outside the box is what I have been trying to do. Have considered removing as much of the trim and hand rails as possible, but have drawn the line at cutting fiberglass. Have also thought about other locations on the boat, for a replacement but only the salon or galley has the access and I'm not interested in either of those locations. Maybe a pic or two would help?

Oversize pics removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Please reduce the size of your pics to 800 pixels. When you upload 5000 pixel, mutli-meg files, it eats up bandwidth for folks on satnav, or limited data plans.
  9. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Thanks. I'll figure that out before adding any more pics
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now your asking for direct OA 50 MKII pics. Not many here. Have you contacted the factory yet?
  11. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

When looking at a boat with a rusted out washer and no access, I came across these folks who seem to disassemble appliances and install them. I have no experience with them, or interest in the company, but I would have discussed the situation with them if I had bought that boat.
    http://tremainmarine.com/miele/
  12. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Rcraps not asking for pics. I tried to post some but they were too big. I'm new and stupid with pic sizes on my iPad. I'll figure it out.

Sea lion. thanks! At least the fact these guys do this means I'm not the only guy trying. I'm on the Chesapeake for now, but will call them to see if it is worth having them come up here.
  13. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

We just replaced our full size Maytag stacked units. All the newer units in both stack and individual all were to tall and wouldn't fit down the stairs or in the cabinetry.
    We ended up taking them apart and then replacing them with Miele's, I could have bought three household W/D units for the price of 1 miele dryer, but that was all that worked.
    That being said, the girls love the Meile and they seem to use a bit less power and are quicker to wash and dry.
  14. beaverlake

beaverlake New Member

There is a 1988 MKII for sale in CA that had the original stack replaced with Bosch units. I think it’s at Seacoast in Santa Barbara CA. There is one photo. Perhaps the broker would pass along a request for the current owner to contact you and you could find out what they did.
  15. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

Thanks! Just saw this. I’ll give it a try
  16. Freedom Capt

Freedom Capt New Member

I finally heard from the broker, a very nice guy. The boat is still for sale and he said it was a major effort removing the forward hatch and other work. I’m in no hurry and am not ready to cut into my boat. Thanks again!