Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander

Trolling valves and controls

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Dan balmer, Feb 14, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

The 50’ post I’m looking at has trolling valves. Anyone know how to use these and any problems with them . I assume they are for low speed trolling with big engines. Are these desirable on a sportfish?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't fish... but I do know that you will normally only find them on sportfish :) so yes they must be desirable for trolling. I think it had to do with live bait not surviving high speed trolling.

Just guessing. I get my sea food on land. :)
  3. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Pascal. While I’ve got your attention maybe you know something about maretron fuel management system that is on this boat I’m looking at. Is that like floscan where you can see your mpg at various rpm?
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Useful depends on how slow you need to troll for whatever species you're after.

On the Chesapeake we troll at between 2-3 kts for striped bass... and I couldn't go that slow, even on one engine, without trolling valves or some serious drogues (which would get in the way). OTOH, if you troll for tuna offshore, you can probably do that without trolling valves.

How to use depends on what models you have. Ours are Teleflex and feature a push/pull knob with finer tuning via rotation. Post a pic and maybe somebody can help you with that part of it...

-Chris
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I haven't used Maretron but there was a thread on them recently. They read fuel flow and when interfaced with GPS should provide NMPG numbers.

Floacan announed they re closing down so I guess Maretron is the only option for non electronic engines
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

They reduce the plate pressures and allow the tranny to "Slip" on the oil film. If you don't need to low speed troll you will never use them. Mine came with the boat in 1998, and have never been used or caused a problem.
  7. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

My last boat with Cats 3412e's trolled 8.2 kt @ high idle, 7kt @low idle which is too fast for live bait, some dead bait trolling, and some deep diving lures. They operated from about 2..5 kt to 6 kt. They are activated by a switch, speed varied by the engine control heads. Depends on what type fishing you do as to whether you will use trolling valves.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some of the larger/faster SF have to use them in NO WAKE / SLOW zones.
    Others try to use them around marinas but I thing that is problematic and not worth the effort.
    If your not a slow fishing troller, leave them locked up and don't fuss about them.
    If you get into slow trolling (slipping clutch), watch those clutch (gear) temperatures and I (IMO) would plan on more frequent oil labs and clutch oil changes.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have never used them on any larger/faster SF. I've run a lot of large fast ones. I'll just either run 1 in gear, Low idle with 1 in gear and that's always slow enough. If you run the trolling valves, it's too hard to stop or speed up in no wake zones (takes too much time to get back to normal gears) so most people never use them for that.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Chattam County (Savannah Ga) and Georgia water cops are writing speeding tickets.
    The Dock master at one of the marinas here, came home with one while motoring thru Thunderbolt, in his snailbote..

Downtown Jax is getting just as bad. Amazing the cops can rock the mess out of everybody chasing you down.

I did engage the trolling valves going thru Banjo Land (south of New Symrna) on that GT50 delivery a couple of years ago. Going slow on one still made a wake and hard to steer. AP could not keep up on one engine either.
  11. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I use trolling valves occasionally when fishing as they leave a clean wake which makes it much easier to see a dredge if your pulling one or two. You can also go slower using trolling valves than on one engine but I would never use them when docking or even in the intracoastal as you cannot put the boat in or out of gear without moving back to neutral and pressing button to remove out of trolling valves. That's been my experience.
  12. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Definitely not designed for docking. Ours could be engaged in gear at idle, just not responsive enough to maneuver while docking. I used one engine to control wake in congested areas.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, definitely not for docking.