Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Transmission Failure

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Post Mayhem, Sep 13, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Ok experts, here I go again. Came in yesterday and the port side didn't feel right. Checked everything this AM and went for a test ride. The engine/gear performed well at idle. When I powered up in the channel the rpm's came up but did not get the usual forward surge. Did an about face and backed into the slip. Once again at idle it performed well for maneuvering. I am afraid I have burned the clutches and am scared to hear what you all may tell me but you are the best first source there is so with a stiff upper lip and a stiffer drink I will await your responses! It is a Capitol Gear HE 10-200. Thanks guys.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Have you checked your props? Sounds like (and hopefully) you picked something up.
  3. strike 3

strike 3 New Member

What is gear oil pressure compared to starboard side when slippage occurs .
    Does gear oil appear to be burnt or discolored . If oil appears to be dark chances are there was slippage and possible clutch damage. If gear oil pressure is low you may be able to adjust pump pressure and correct problem.
    Good luck
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You changed the clutch oil last when?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't know anything about Capitol trannies but if they are anything like Allisons low oil will result in slippage once you in increase power. They will run fine at low speed except for a slight delay getting in forward.

First thing first, check oil level and make sure you follow instructions as some gears need to be check per warm and engine running at idle.

Also, sometimes an air leak on the auction side of the pump will cause all kinds of issues... Doesn't this apply to capitols? No idea...
  6. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Sadly, no problem there. Shaft speed doesn't change as rpms on eng come up. Good operation astern but not forward.
  7. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Guilty! I have not in the 10 months I have had her. Since this occurrence I realize I don't even know where the drain is or where I will refill, dipstick hole? That will be fun!
  8. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Level is fine and pressure is @200, same as stbd.
  9. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Oil does smell burnt and has discoloration it did not have previously. I plan to pull selector valve today and clean it just in case it has a plugged port but everything appears to be pointing toward disc damage. Not sure I am up to attempting this repair myself but haven't found anyone in this area that works on capitols, YET!
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Simple. Get a pump and a 5 gallon bucket. Suck it out and put it in through the dipstick hole. (You'll do your motors the same way.) Not hard.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Get in touch with Chesapeake46 and check this thread:
    http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/capitol-transmissions.11768/#post-221356
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Get a pump and a 5 gallon bucket. Pump it out and in through the dipstick hole. You'll do your mains the same way. Not hard.
  13. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

I did mine about 3 years ago. Starboard Capitol Gear all but lost reverse but I still had forward propulsion all the way home from Bimini. I drilled a hole in the salon deck and installed an eye bolt temporarily. used a small chain hoist hanging from the eye bolt I installed above the gear to remove the gear after removing a bunch of parts and pieces that were in the way. (Alternator, raw water pump, gear oil filter etc. etc.) once the gear was slid back and free from the engine I made a ramp out of plywood to get it slid up between the engines. I set up an A-Frame in the salon and hoisted it out of the hole. Used good old fashioned elbow grease to get it off the boat and into the back of my truck. Transmission Marine in Ft. Lauderdale did an awesome job rebuilding it! The bill was about $4K. Did everything in reverse to reinstall and I haven't looked back...Except of course to check my spread and fight a fish! Let me know if you need any more clues.
  14. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

Thanks for this info. I am fairly certain I have burned the forward clutch on the port trans. Finding someone local to work on it is the issue now. The yard where I keep her is "looking" into it. As for more info, did you do the job in the water or on blocks? I have never measured the distance between the wheel and the rudder to know if I have enough to slide the trans back to clear the oil **** and pull the clutch assembly out without removing entire trans. Any advice? Also, did that $$ rebuild entire trans or just astern issue?
  15. Post Mayhem

Post Mayhem Member

I cheat on the mains and genset, there is a transfer pump and plumbing. I imagine a portable version of the same thing with a very small line to fit in the stick opening. What about pouring oil in through the top plate just aft of the selector valve? I had it off today and can look down on gears.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Guess that could work, but I'm not thrilled with having transmissions open to contaminents more than necessary. You can pick up a pump/bucket combo at West Marine. Not sure how much fluid the tranny holds, but you can reverse the pump for filling. Keeps things neat.
  17. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Lift the back of the motor with an a-frame. put blocks under the bell housing then slide the gear back. You should enough room behind the prop to get the gear off. We had a long I-beam or stinger to reach in and lift the gear out of the bilge. It's so much easier and quicker to rebuild one on the bench rather than in the boat. If it's burnt the clutch up enough to get the gear oil black then it's pumped particles all through the gear that have to be flushed out.
  18. prestonannaj

prestonannaj Guest

There is a filter screen in the bottom of trans where suction hose to pump is. Put paint pan under trans remove hose drain oil remove screen that is part of the fitting that the hose is connected to. Also their should be a remote canister filter to replace. Start simple first before pulling trans. Good luck
  19. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

A customer of mine had a Capitol gear rebuilt at a transmission shop somewhere in Chesapeake Va. last Summer. They had the parts on hand and turned it around in about a week. Google may turn up the source. If you can't find it and need a name, respond here and let me know. I can make a call and find out.
  20. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

As dsharp said...I blocked the back of the motor up with wooden blocks between the bell housing and the hull. Just loosened front motor mount nuts and removed rear ones prior to picking and blocking. I was able to slide the shaft back far enough so the combination of the back of the motor being higher and the coupler being pushed back gave me enough clearance to slide the gear back and free it from the motor. I suggest removing entire trans and having it completely rebuilt. You will kick yourself if you save $1000.00 and have to pull the gear again a year from now because something else failed that certainly would have been caught by a qualified technician performing a complete rebuild. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours except I lost reverse which is consistent with what I have read on boatdiesel.com. Port forward will fail 1st and Stbd reverse will fail 1st on these Capitol gears. Same dark fluid etc. etc.. my clutch disks were junk when they pulled it apart and they found a couple other substantial issues which they addressed. The actual gears and bearings are pretty bullet proof but there are other failure points beside the clutch pack. Nice folks at Transmission Marine. Call them for advice on a repair facility in your area...Or palletize it and ship the gear to them. I work for a marine towing company in Ft. Lauderdale and have no affiliation with Transmission Marine...But I can't say enough good things about the work they did and their attention to detail.