Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck

Too much trouble with Azimuts

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by ignacio, Sep 25, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sagharborskip

sagharborskip Senior Member

55' 2004 Azimut

Boat going from 2nd owner to 3rd tomorrow...

2nd owner bought boat for $950,000 in 2005 and sold this week for $650,000. Sellers would have been happy w/ more, but this 55' got $25,000 more than the last 55' that sold.

Broker repping buyer said they looked at 2007 55' and our '04 was in better shape.

Lots of issues over 5 years but none insurmountable. Biggest issue that was never dealt w/ was poor gelcoat finish - burned through in a bunch of places and discolored in lots of other places. That said, boat still showed well (at least to South American buyer not too familiar w/ Azimuts).

Also, who puts the window tinting on the outside and then affixes sticker warning against using abrasives on windows? There's A LOT of window area on a 55'...

The raked windows make piloting from inside a real adventure...

At least the visibility isn't too bad. The new 75' Riva Venere has same raked windows and the visibility from inside is about 1/2 that of the Azimut (from inside).

The electrical installation on the Azimut is a circus: breakers and battery switches all over the place (the main shore power breaker tucked up inside a storage cabinet on the aft deck). The boat's electrics controls spread out over 5 different locations.

The engine room light switch INSIDE the engine room breaker panel...which needs both handles rotated to open...after you wend your way around the engine room ladder.

The current owners (current sellers) loved the boat during their 5 years but aren't going to miss the repair bills...
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That shouldn't amaze anyone ... like cars, all boats do the same thing. Cars roll over the road, boats float. Cars are believed by their owner to project some personal image, same with boats.

Buying a boat is an emotional exercise, not a rational one.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Truth! Preach it brother!
    It took me 10 years and several boats to finally understand this!
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

When astute business people who spend their lives chasing profit turn around and dump 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands each year into one of the most depreciating assets around so they can sit on it for 100 hours a year I find it interesting. When they then grumble about the price of fuel, or worse crew, I find it amusing. But hey, it's enabled me to earn a living and satisfy my boating addiction for many years now. So keep up those impulse buys. I always say that the two fastest ways to get rid of money are a mistress or a boat, but they are both fun.:D
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

What's the old adage?
    If it flies, f*'s or floats, rent it. It's cheaper!

I remember like it was yesterday, some years back, my Wife and I were in the sky lounge of a charter we spent 2 weeks on and she looked over at me and said (in such an elegant and seductive way) "this would be nice, don't you think, Dear?".

And so it began. We bought an Italian boat.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And yet you follow that with "my Wife" and then "We bought an Italian boat." So much for the old adage. :D Hate to admit it, but I think it's a guy thing.:eek:
  7. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Need Your Head Read Buying An Italian Boat

Italian engineering and electrics and salt water?

People please.....

My garage floor tells the story. One half has only stains on it. The other half is clean as the day the concrete was poured. Love my Alfa for its looks and the way it sounds, but we have an Audi as the faimly car.

Scrumpy
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

:) funny how british car owners get all the lucas jokes isn't it? my GF Alfa's electrical system is no better than my E-type's...

boat ownership makes no sense for most people unless they really can spend a lot of time on board. take the average new 45/50 footer, factor in all the costs incl. interest and depreciation and you can pay for 6 weeks of chartering a 70 to 80 footer with crew!
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

10. Psychdoc

Psychdoc New Member

Azimut

OK, I'm convinced; no longer in the market for an Azimut :(
  11. Scottbee

Scottbee Member

Reading this head really broke my heart.

I've been doing the responsible, adult, mature thing and shopping 68'-70' Hatteras' CPMY's for our first venture into boats of this size and caliber. Nice, broad-beamed ladies that are comfortable and reliable.... but not necessarily the envy of your Scotch-swilling friends.

Then I had my head turned by a slutty little Azimut Sea Jet with her bells, whistles, and sexy interior lines. Only to discover that (based on these reviews) like most painted ladies, she would probably leave me wet, disappointed, and out a chunk of change.

<sigh>