Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Tired of US immigration, next year shall I bother?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MYCaptainChris, Sep 6, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

I think that it's becoming more trouble than it's worth. Next year we should be heading to Europe so I think in future I'll avoid the U.S.
    Is this just me or are other captains/owners making this decision. It's seems that it doesn't matter what you do when it comes to the regulations, if the officer your dealing with doesn't have a clue your in for a hard time.
    So sorry Broward county, the next few million is going elsewhere.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I read your post with interest.

Differing interpretations of the same rules and regulations does not just happen when dealing with the INS.

It is a favourite of the Classification Societies and MCA as well!!

Don't assume it will be all beer and skittles relocating to Europe.

Is your boat setup to take 50Hz shore power?

It's an entirely different area to cruise, you will always be going to new ports/locations where you might not speak the language the locals do. This can sometimes add frustration and tension to what seems to you like the simplest of requests.

Also get ready for the very different prices of fuel/stores/dockage and repairs over on this side of the pond.

Carry as much as yopu can in way of deck stores/consumables etc when leaving the US, apply the same to your spares especially electrical things if your boat is a 110/220v 60 Hz one.

If you want a heads up on this drop me a PM with your vessel details/equipment list and I will try to knock up a list of what I would bring based on my previous experiences with US Electrical System boats here in Europe.
  3. MYCaptainChris

Mca

I must agree in respect to the MCA.

I thought ahead a little with the yacht and in the last refit had an A-Sea shore power system fitted which means we can plug in anywhere and still get the required 208v 60hz.

This won't be my first visit to europe just the first on this yacht. My career actually started in the Med #@ yaers ago.
    It will mean carrying a good number of spares but thankfully many of the electrical systems onboard are available both sides of the pond. The yacht is actually from italy which will work in it's favour. The biggest issues may be with domestic items, washer, dryer, TV's etc
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

K1W1,
    Some very good points there regarding cruising in Europe.
    Chris, your last statement should stand out to anyone in Broward: "So sorry Broward, the next few million is going elsewhere"
    Those in Broward should help the process by streamlining and cutting thru some of the red tape with the feds to promote a smooth customs and checking in process when returning to the states. Broward is in danger of losing it's title of the yachting capitol as more developers buy up yards for condos and there are less and less slips available for mid to large sized yachts. Other cities on the eastern seaboard, like Charleston, are making themselves more attractive to yachts and yachting and may one day be the place to be and be seen.
    Capt Tom
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

" The biggest issues may be with domestic items, washer, dryer, TV's etc"

It was the laundry, TV's and flourescant lights that I was thinking of when I wrote that bit above. If you have a frequency converter you should be in good shape, your next big headache will be the cost of the plugs over here and the fact that they seem to be different in every port sometimes being different in different parts of the same marina.

Remember even though it was built in Italy, the TV's might only be NTSC which kinda limits what you can watch in the Med. The laundry equipment might have been especially imported from the US for the original customer.
  6. MYCaptainChris

us

All the TV's and laundry gear are US, I basically built this boat to US specs with the view of taking it to europe. I would be a little concerned about some of the system pumps on-board as many of them are 60hz, but when I fitted those I made a point of fitting ones that could be rebuilt rather than just thrown out and replaced. I still may buy a few spare to cover my back.

Broward really need to act fast.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Look at the starters etc for your pumps, the coils that hold the contactors in are often either 50 or 60 Hz not dual,the style of many has changed in recent years and they are not all interchangeable between brands and models, the chokes and ballasts for your fluros are another thing that will be frequency specific.

Just rememember if your microwave, food processor, vacuum cleaner etc needs replacing you will probably be getting one out of the US as you will not find a 110V 60Hz unit easily in Europe if at all.
  8. MYCaptainChris

i remember

I do remember a real find in Malta, it looked like an old ruin but in fact was an electrical store that had everything and anything you could imagine in any form. 50, 60hz, 110, 220, 208v whatever. Wish I could remember where and what it was called. It's been a while since I've been there.