Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Tips for removing Mirror??

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by deanpe, Jun 10, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. deanpe

deanpe New Member

I'm looking to remove the mirror above the headboard in the stateroom of an '82 Post 42. It looks as if the mirrored glazing is tarnished where adhesive was used to adhere it to the substrate. I know I will have to drill out the bungs of the mahogany trim to be able to unscrew the trim around the perimeter of the glass. What do I do after that? Is there an easy way to remove the glass in one piece, i.e., will it peel of the wall easily? Or will I be forced to go at it with a hammer and a shopvac? Has anyone had new glass made and installed. I like that the mirror makes the room feel bigger, but open to hear what others have done.

Thanks,
    Patrick
  2. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

You could try using a multi-strand wire as a wire saw, since readily available wire saws may not be long enough. There is also some pretty fancy wire saw stock out there in Googleville.
    Just search "Wire saw".[​IMG]
    The Depot calls them " PVC Cable Saw" but they're pretty short.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could just glue another mirror right on top of the old one if you have the depth. We used to use piano wire and 2 vise grips to saw away at window adhesive, they then came out with a braided wire that was better specifically for remove windshields and such. If you check with an automotive body shop supply they should have the wire and specialty tools for using it (instead of vise grips.....it's a 2 man operation and you basically saw through the old adhesive with the wire.
  4. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

I don't remember exactly how I removed the mirror. I think it came off in pieces. I replaced it with teak veneer plywood, framed a picture we took in Bimini, put a stainless piano hinge on the top of the frame and catches on the bottom. All of which covers the door for the anchor locker and swings up and out of the way for access to chain in the locker.
    image.jpg
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

one bad thing about YF is all the ideas I get for improvements.

Your work really updated the master S/R.

This is now on my list of things to do.