Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Tiger Woods Yacht "Privacy"...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Dec 14, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It is not confusing to mariners.

Seafarers do not have access to workman's compensation. A U.S. seaman is entitled to "maintenance and cure" which can amount to less than $50 per day for meals and a place to sleep under a bridge. Cure is the medical costs until "maximum medical improvement" is attained. And then that is the end of it and they don't ship many peglegs, one eyed mates, or hook handed captains these days.

Any circumstance which might have contributed to the injury makes the seaman eligible for remedy under the Jones Act. Like it or not this situation exists because seafarers have traditionally had little or no access to the type of workplace protection, insurance, and compensation that land based workers expect as a normal part of their working condition.

The only recourse a seaman has is to file a Jones Act claim. The owner's insurance then pays the claim if it is valid. The type of injury described is common and if the safety of crew was the most important aspect of yacht design, that hatch would probably not have been able to close on anyone's hand. We don't know what happened or why, we don't know what injury the seafarer suffered or its long term impact on his employability. I would wait before trashing the injured seaman or getting in a self-righteous snit because it reads like he is scamming someone.
  2. Captcruz

Captcruz New Member

Mitchell wouldn’t reveal how much money he is seeking from Woods, but said that the amount would include damages for failing to keep a safe work environment aboard Privacy, which is usually docked at North Palm Beach’s Old Port Cove.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You misunderstood. I was surprised that a yachts owner (or his rep) wouldn't have jumped up and taken care of it without the need for litigation. Then again, the seaman could be asking for more than just medicals. I just hate to see suits between owners and crew.
  4. Captcruz

Captcruz New Member

At first, Mitchell added, Woods’ people took care of McKee, paying for some of his medical expenses. But then, McKee was handed a “small” severance package and sent on his way.

That's the Lawyers version anyway.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5 months on the job as a deckhand? That sounds reasonable. Maybe I'm just old school.
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Failing to keep a safe work environment? He can't even keep that at home. Can you say Fore?! That misses has a nasty swing.
  7. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

anyone got a picture of the new 61 foot dive boat Solitude?
  8. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

after months of trying to track it down,,, i believe it is invisible....:cool:
  9. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Has solitude even been delivered yet?
  10. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

I read on the internet last that Solitude was delivered late last week and was lying in a marina in Florida close the the Woods' residence. It was described as a gift to Elin, as she is an avid diver. I thought someone down in Florida may have snapped a pic by now.
  11. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

Tiger Gets to Keep Privacy (the yacht, that is)

Let’s hope Tiger Woods wins the PGA Tour’s AT&T National this week – you can bet on that tournament with Bodog’s golf odds, and Woods is the big betting favorite – because he might actually need the winner’s check.

If the reports are true, Tiger got raked over the coals like no one in history in his divorce settlement with wife Elin Nordegren, who is expected to officially file for divorce in the next week (if I have to remind you of why, you have been living in a cave). Tiger will reportedly pay Elin $750 million and she also gets primary custody of the couple's two children, daughter Sam, 3, and son Charlie, 1. Woods also agreed not to bring any new women into the kids' lives or near them unless he has remarried.

Nordegren apparently also gets the family home in Windermere, Fla. (that’s where all this began thanks to Tiger’s car crash), an apartment in Stockholm and a farmhouse. Tiger gets his new estate on Jupiter Island, Fla., an apartment in Los Angeles and his yacht.

In exchange for this record-setting settlement, Elin will not be allowed to talk about Woods' numerous extramarital affairs. That $750 million settlement is certainly the most ever paid out by a celebrity – Michael Jordan had to fork over $168 million in his divorce for the previous record.

Tiger tees off Thursday around 1 p.m. ET at the AT&T National outside Philadelphia. He will talk to the media after his round and assuredly will not answer any questions about his personal life. The winner of the tournament takes home $1.16 million, by the way. AT&T, incidentally, was one of the first companies to drop him as a spokesman after his affairs became public. His name is off the tournament logo now, but the Tiger Woods Foundation is still the tournament’s primary charity and he is basically the pseudo-host.
  12. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

wow!:confused:
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's all relative. The richer the relative.....:rolleyes:
  14. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

i believe the ''pay 750 million'' statement is a lot higher that what she will get ....however child support,their education ,ect....i would not guess..:eek:
  15. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I have to agree. That sounds extremely high as Paul McCartney payed about half that (400 mil) in his divorce. I do believe that he was far better off than Tiger. If this is true, Tiger may want to give sir Paul a call to get his lawyer's phone #.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

She is welcome back to our little village...:)
  17. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I originally heard the 700 figure which was reported by that bastion of accurate journalism The National Enquirer:rolleyes: . Last night I heard 100 maybe. I doubt even their accountants know the exact figure given how these things are structured. Only thing for sure is that that playing had better have been real good for the price to be paid.
  19. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I got to thinking that the 700m could have been his worth, not her payment or stipend or whatever one wishes to call it.

I think most of us are aware of the reliability of the NE. Except maybe to the "Men in Black":D
  20. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

It's not all fluff. Just ask John Edwards and Al Gore!