Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Perko

Thinking about going bigger

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ruby, Nov 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most 52' Hatteras had 12v71 TI's from what I've seen and they do cruise at 22 knots, not a rocket ship and thirsty as well. What is your budget. I think the 50' Post is mostly what you're looking for. The 820 mans cruise it at 26 knots at around 60 gph, so fuel burn is good for it's size and speed. It has 2 staterooms but I cannot remember what they look like, but I believe they both have decent size berths I think a full in the bow and a queen on the starboard side midships. Beamy, fairly good ride, a touch wet, nice cockpit. But remember nothing is going to be perfect. Another thought is finding a used custom in that size, but then you get into price.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Ruby

1200 hours on my 820s and going strong. The 1000 hour was $15k, but they go thru just about everything. Very fuel efficient, runs at 1800 rpm/26knots all day long without a whimper. You either love them or hate them. The "grenades" were a piston head problem that was remedied many years ago and taken care of under warranty.
  3. ruby

ruby Member

Beau, I just called you with regards to this topic. At your leisure give me a call.
    There are not any Hats with 12-71's presently on the market up to. 2001. I have a certain price that I want to stay around. I think sometimes that the size of the 46 Post along with the cruise speed and fairly low fuel burns make it a great package, but I do want bigger for various reasons..
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The 50 Post really makes alot of sense for what you are looking for.
    Beau seems to have great luck with the 820's
  5. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

55 gph @ 25 knots with 8V92TA's, Full Size Fridge, Big salon, go for a Post 50!
  6. ruby

ruby Member

Off duty, what boat are you talking about?
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Update on my engine hours. I'm at 1600 presently - must have been a senior moment?
  8. ruby

ruby Member

Hahaha
  9. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

My 1994 Post 50. OFF DUTY Harbour Island.JPG
  10. Airslot

Airslot New Member

I'm lurking here all too often now. Wife and I are seriously considering a late 80's 46' as our next boat. I really don't want to pull the trigger for about 24 months right now. I'm still in the early stages of research, so you'll see me lurking and asking plenty of questions. Beautiful boats...
  11. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Check out a 53 Cavileer?? 3sr/2 head layout with galley up. There is a 2002 on YW that has 355 hrs on a pair of 3406e CATs. No relation to the boat, but it fits your list.
  12. ruby

ruby Member

I don't trust these no name boats, they also try to say they are Egg Harbors, I'm not a fan of this.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they were purchased and made in the same factory as Egg Harbor, by Egg Harbor. Just like the Davis line. Call Egg Harbor and ask them.
  14. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

If you don't like the MANs in the 50, there are several on the market that had either the 3406e CAT package ( I have the CATs. Like em so far...) and the lesser HP series 60 Detroits.
  15. ruby

ruby Member

Well I am definitely selling my 46, anyone who may know someone in the market please message me for further info