Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

The Superyachts Volume 1 to 10

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by KOK, Oct 31, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. KOK

KOK New Member

Hello all,

I apologize if a sales topic is not appropriate in this forum.

I have the ten first books in The Superyachts series (1988 to 1997) that I consider selling. I suppose they are of some interest and historical value to collectors and connoisseurs, but I have no idea of what the appropriate asking price would be. Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Knut Olaf
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Knut Olaf,

I guess they have a value as the publisher is buying back copies for customers who want to fill in gaps in their collection.

Of the first ten I just have four so I can pay you SEK 10.000 for what you have...:)

/Lars
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I have a couple of dusty copies, myself. Lars, how much is SEK 10.000 in kopecks?
  4. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

For not dusty copies, this is USD 1.380 at this moment...:)
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Wow, Those must all be swimsuit editions.
  7. airship

airship Senior Member

LOL :)
    Now there's a great idea: The Playboy Superyachts Vol.1, a joint publication by Boat International and Playboy Inc...?! You'll hardly notice the slightly imperfect paint finishes then... :D

Seriously though, I sold my Superyachts Volumes 1 - 3 for €1,200 back in 2004. I'd been browsing a local website with a small yachting forum and came across someone who had Volumes 1 - 10 for sale. His asking price was €6,000. Anyway, for the sheer hell of it, I put mine up for sale and was suddenly inundated with calls...I felt somewhat obliged to sell finally and to be quite frank, was glad to be rid of the boring things at what I worked out was a 600% ROI. :eek:

The guy with the 10 volumes didn't get his asking price and carted them off to the UAE where he was being relocated to. Since then, I've heard rumours of a set of Vol 1 -10 going for $10,000 and just recently, $20,000 being paid for all 19 volumes. I wonder sometimes whether these silly prices aren't due to a few rare superyacht owners who "at a whim", say to their yacht broker: "It's a deal, but I want to find a complete set of The Superyachts when I step aboard my new yacht this summer..."

Let's face it, what happens if (or when) Boat International finally decide to reprint the earlier editions? Or some enterprising Chinese Rolex manufacturer decides it's time to go into the book-binding business because he's spotted a more profitable opportunity...? And if he adds a liberal sprinkling of swimsuits, they'll probably sell like hot-cakes... :D
  8. KOK

KOK New Member

Thanks for the replies.

SEK 10000 seems a bit low, USD 10000 seems a bit high :)

I can part with them for something in between, should anybody be interested.

And if you hear of anybody looking for these books, please let me know.

Thanks,

Knut Olaf
  9. Stephan_S

Stephan_S New Member

Dear all,

Dug this old thread out...

Same 'problem' to me: I own the first 10 volumes (and few more) in as-new condition and am looking to sell them - does anyone have a hint where and how to best sell them in one package, and what price can be expected?

Thanks,

Stephan