Click for Llebroc Click for Frigibar Click for United Click for Westport Click for Stats

The Rise of Outboards and Center Consoles

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jsschieff

jsschieff Member

Outboards are rapidly gaining share in more than just fishing boats. MJM has 12 pre-orders for its new 35 ft outboard-powered cruising boat, Formula just came out with a 40+ foot outboard-powered cruising boat, and Pursuit makes some big outboard-powered weekenders. I even read that the Endeavour Catamaran manufacturer just delivered a 48' power catamaran with twin outboards.

The newer four-stroke outboards are amazingly reliable, quiet, with little vibration. Having them hang on the transom frees up so much space where inboard motors used to reside, plus there is no need for through-hulls or exhaust systems. Steering is much stronger when the entire prop flow is turned instead of partial turn of prop flow over a rudder. You can tilt up outboards for shallow water. I understand why outboards are being used more and more -- they have significant advantages over inboards for many types of boats up to the 40-foot range. Most important, a big center console with three or four outboards on the transom is really fun to drive.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but generally that will include oil changes, fuel filters and gear lube. If you're using it that much a more in depth service can be done at 200 hours (impellors, zincs, etc.)
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Pre-orders are a boatbuilders dream. They may be dealer stocking inventory or for actual customers, but they sure do get the production machine rolling.
  4. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

German magazins recently featured center console makers from Finland: Axopar and Bella. Boats look nice to me...
  5. ranger42c

ranger42c Member

Dunno. High speed wouldn't be a goal for me, though.

No, haven't seen that. I've only seen pics of engine mounted further aft, under the deck. (Shamrock, maybe? Stamas? Can't remember) No fish box, I guess (and since I don't care about fishing, that didn't seem like a bad trade-off. Yep, losing the head would suck.

-Chris
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The larger center consoles not only have heads, but often have cabins, or at least beds in addition to the heads. When an inboard is chosen, that is often lost completely. So, even if losing fish boxes are ok with you, head and bed might be of more interest.
  7. ranger42c

ranger42c Member

Head, certainly. We'd probably shop for a "good head, with a center console attached."

At that point, again assuming our boating life has changed, we probably wouldn't care much about berth... though we did see a couple CC's with that when we shopped for our previous boat. Didn't seem bad, given they had the room to do it. Think they were a Grady and a Whaler, about 30' or so, outboard boats. Lots o' years ago, now. We ended up with an inboard express fishboat -- berth, galley, dinette, head/shower -- and that was about as much as I would want to be below-decks in a non-bridge-boat again.

But yes, I wouldn't much be interested in a trade-off between inboard diesel versus good head. I could live with outboards, if I had to. Just not my preference.

-Chris
  8. Nep6012

Nep6012 New Member

I fish often on a friend's 65 Viking. Full time captain and mate make it easy. I own a 36 Invincible and have friends with Yellowfin, Sea Hunter and other top end CC fishing boats. On all but the sloppiest days, I would prefer to fish a large CC. There are some real benefits.

1. You can easily fish with 3 people, and even 2.
    2. Speed - if the bite inshore is slow I can run offshore and be in the Gulf stream in 15 minutes in S. FL. Cruise speed is 40-45 knots with a top end of 60
    3. Fuel efficiency - 1.2 nmpg at 40 knots and 1.4 at 30 knot slow cruise, and with 475 gallons a range approaching 600 nm.
    4. 360 degree walk around is nice.

I personally would not want a SF; rather have a motor yacht for cruising.